Trains: A Year Later And No Change: Miami Herald

Got on in retiro, they took him off / semi cleaned the train in belgrano C

I used to consider the Mitre a decent line but, the last time I went to Tigre in December, it was a mess - senseless vandalism, dirty, everything deteriorating.

Of course nothing has changed. The government is too busy using funds to give wasteful subsidies they should have gotten rid of and spending money on wage increases.

I used to consider the Mitre a decent line but, the last time I went to Tigre in December, it was a mess - senseless vandalism, dirty, everything deteriorating.

Yes, true. It used to be probably the best line. It actually improved a lot during the Menem years when the trains were frequent, ran on time and were reliable. The trains have really been trashed in the last couple of years. I've also noticed that the passengers seem a lot poorer - maybe a lot of immigrants. Fewer middle / professional people seem to be riding the line. It's a pathetic comment on the Kirchner administration that this line that travels through densely populated, generally prosperous areas has seriously DETERIORATED despite the stated interest of the Kirchners in reviving the railways.

Yes, true. It used to be probably the best line. It actually improved a lot during the Menem years when the trains were frequent, ran on time and were reliable. The trains have really been trashed in the last couple of years. I've also noticed that the passengers seem a lot poorer - maybe a lot of immigrants. Fewer middle / professional people seem to be riding the line. It's a pathetic comment on the Kirchner administration that this line that travels through densely populated, generally prosperous areas has seriously DETERIORATED despite the stated interest of the Kirchners in reviving the railways.

I would argue that both middle class professionals and poorer people deserve service as good as the Mitre used to be. At least the Mitre hasn't killed anyone.

I would argue that both middle class professionals and poorer people deserve service as good as the Mitre used to be. At least the Mitre hasn't killed anyone.

Yes I agree. This line used to run well by local standards but despite Kirchner insistence that rail passenger service is important, this line has really gone downhill even though it has a lot of riders who could pay more for better service. Some years ago they experimented in a small way with a "servicio diferencial" -- a little train that cost more and that was a lot more comfortable. Now the thought of anything like that is absurd when the basics are no longer provided!

Yes I agree. This line used to run well by local standards but despite Kirchner insistence that rail passenger service is important, this line has really gone downhill even though it has a lot of riders who could pay more for better service. Some years ago they experimented in a small way with a "servicio diferencial" -- a little train that cost more and that was a lot more comfortable. Now the thought of anything like that is absurd when the basics are no longer provided!

Actually there is a servicio deferencial on the Roca line right now and it is, according to my friends who live in the Sur, the best way to get to capital via mass transit.

Back