Transferring USD to ARS using Remitly.com

pmacay

Registered
About 2 years ago I used Remitly.com to transfer a few hundred USA dollars just to see how it worked in case of an emergency where I needed to transfer some money from my USA based bank to Argentina. The first time I used it I had to give them a scan of my DNI but then it worked easily. I also tried xoom.com which is owned by PayPal but I found Remitly gave a better blue rate.

This year we had a lot of big ticket expenses and we're running short of cash so I used Remitly to transfer $1,000 USA from my USA bank. This was on Oct 21 when La Nacion had the blue rate posted as 1205-1225. Remitly gave us 1178. The last time I exchanged dollars with my favorite exchange guy was on Oct 14 and he gave me 1160. Remitly charged $2.99 USA to make the transaction. The money arrives in 4-5 business days converted to ARG pesos and since I was already on file, the transfer went through with no effort.

A friend transfers USA dollars directly into his Santander account, but there are several hoops you have to jump through to pickup the USA dollars from a bank teller and then take them to your favorite cueva to exchange them. Remitly gave a good rate, only charged $2.99 and the converted to ARG pesos transfer arrived safely into my Santander account today.

I asked about limits and the online chat person at Remitly said there is a per transfer limit of $7,000 USA per day, $14,000 USA per month and $84,000 USA per year, more then enough for living expenses, so I'm happy to have this "safety" cushion where I can get money at a reasonable rate if I need it.

Back