Translation Rates? Help!

talktalk

Registered
Hey guys, I've been asked to translate a presentation (a company pitch) from Spanish into English to be ready on Sunday night and I'm wondering what rate I can charge per word. Does anyone have any current information based on experience?

Thanks!

A friend who was doing translations for companies etc was getting between 30 and 40 centavo's per word depending on length of translation.

Probably more now.

That REALLY depends on how big the company is and what their budget is, and also how much experience/credentials you have. I have one year of experience and typically charge about 20 Argentine cents per word. That said, I also typically work for small clients who often couldn't afford to pay more (but I am trying to build up a client base). If you think the company has a big enough budget I think you could definitely ask for at least 30. 40 or more seems like a lot for someone who isn't a professional translator though.

I forgot to add he did have a qualification though, and he could do spanish to english and english to spanish, where most translators here can only do the english (or some other language) to spanish - or at least thats what they should be doing.

Translation rates usually start at 0.05 US$ for the translator.
It's possible to charge 0.12/0.15 US$ for specialized translations (Legal/financial/technical... Assuming you're good).

For those interested, there are quite many online translation agencies. There's a lot of work (depends on the language pairs you work with: German <-> English is great, English -> French works well also, Spanish <-> English is also very good).

Wondering if anyone knows very well how to use SDL Trados on the site? I'm looking for lessons.

French jurist said:
Wondering if anyone knows very well how to use SDL Trados on the site? I'm looking for lessons.

I have used it, but not to do work myself, only supporting users.. I do have a training manual and demo files.. Trados Manual for Dummies A Beginners’ Guide for trados 6.5 from early 2000's from memory. It hasnt changed much since then.. So PM with your email address if you want it..

You might be able to find a torrent for SDL Training 2009. I have that too, but its 230mb in size..

Back