Travel Requirements With Non-Argentine Children...

GuilleGee

Registered
Hopefully someone here as some information. We arrived last week for a month visit with my wife's family (Argentine) so they could meet our newborn son!

We are looking at possibly travelling to Uruguay this coming weekend, and of course, will be leaving the country to return to the USA at the end of the month. The question/concern I am running into is that I recently remembered that travelling with children can be complicated due to documentaiton requirements. Does anyone know if these apply for my American son travelling on his US passport?

Some family information if it helps:

Me, Dad: US Citizen, Argentine Permanent Resident - entered as tourist last week as I thought forgot my DNI back in the states, although I found it as we were unpacking once we arrived!
Wife, Mom: Argentine Citizen, Greek Citizen, US Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder)
Son: US Citizen, NO argentine citizenship or residency.

Any first or second hand experience is appreciated.

AFAIK if everyone is travelling together, and birth certificate shows the parents, that's really all you need.

AFAIK if everyone is travelling together, and birth certificate shows the parents, that's really all you need.

Everyone is travelling together. Unfortunately we forgot his birth certificate at our place in Minnesota! Do we need to get the birth certificate apostilled and sent to us?

Gee, our family is much like yours argi mom US dad. Like Ben said we’ve always just had our passports and birth certificate for baby. Never done the uraguay trip though. But I think you run into hassles when traveling without the other parent with a kid.

My wife says we didn’t need the birth certificate. Just passports. I was remembering a different trip. At any rate we never had the birth certificate apostilled for travel. Just for dni stuff. Once we forgot ID for our baby while traveling domestically in the US so we had someone send a photo of the birth certificate and we printed it at a hotel. Hope this helps.

According to the DNM website, nothing at all is required of minors who are both non-citizen and non-resident:

CAPITULO I: PRINCIPIO GENERAL Y EXCEPCIONES​

ARTÍCULO 1°.- Principio General. Necesitan autorización para egresar del país las personas que no hayan alcanzado los DIECIOCHO (18) años de edad, sean de nacionalidad argentina o extranjeros que sean beneficiarios de una residencia permanente, temporaria o precaria en la REPUBLICA ARGENTINA o que hubieran permanecido en el territorio nacional por lapso igual o mayor a un año a partir de su último ingreso.​

Sounds like if they let you in without asking for any info, they should let you out much the same.
EDIT: Confirmed - I just asked someone with kids born in the country and abroad.
When traveling with the kids born abroad, they didn't care for anything more than the passport (until that child got a DNI).
For the ones born here, even when traveling on a foreign passport, the whole 9 yards applied - birth certificate, permiso de menor, etc.
Same for the foreign-born ones once they got a DNI.

According to the DNM website, nothing at all is required of minors who are both non-citizen and non-resident:

CAPITULO I: PRINCIPIO GENERAL Y EXCEPCIONES​

ARTÍCULO 1°.- Principio General. Necesitan autorización para egresar del país las personas que no hayan alcanzado los DIECIOCHO (18) años de edad, sean de nacionalidad argentina o extranjeros que sean beneficiarios de una residencia permanente, temporaria o precaria en la REPUBLICA ARGENTINA o que hubieran permanecido en el territorio nacional por lapso igual o mayor a un año a partir de su último ingreso.​

Sounds like if they let you in without asking for any info, they should let you out much the same.
EDIT: Confirmed - I just asked someone with kids born in the country and abroad.
When traveling with the kids born abroad, they didn't care for anything more than the passport (until that child got a DNI).
For the ones born here, even when traveling on a foreign passport, the whole 9 yards applied - birth certificate, permiso de menor, etc.
Same for the foreign-born ones once they got a DNI.

Ben - thanks so much for going to such lengths to get an answer for us! I owe you a beer (or wine, your choice)!

EDIT: I just realized I sold you a TV when I moved out of the country 3.5 years ago! Hope it is still going strong/did my wife ever get you the remote?

My wife says we didn’t need the birth certificate. Just passports. I was remembering a different trip. At any rate we never had the birth certificate apostilled for travel. Just for dni stuff. Once we forgot ID for our baby while traveling domestically in the US so we had someone send a photo of the birth certificate and we printed it at a hotel. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Sounds like from the comments we should be good since our son is a tourist/US Citizen Only!

Ben - thanks so much for going to such lengths to get an answer for us! I owe you a beer (or wine, your choice)!

EDIT: I just realized I sold you a TV when I moved out of the country 3.5 years ago! Hope it is still going strong/did my wife ever get you the remote?

Yes I'd completely forgotten that that was from you! It's still my computer monitor and I'm actually corresponding with you on it right now...
And yes, I got the remote - thank you very much for that! How time flies...

We will be in a similar situation soon and I want to ensure we are following the requirements.

Dad is US citizen only. Mom is Argentine but naturalized US citizen. Travels on US passport but brings Argentine one in case. Kid is US citizen only with US passport. Just to be safe we are bringing an apostilled birth and marriage certificate. Having done some research, we will not be getting him his DNI or citizenship. When he is 18 and if he wants to pursue it, the option appears open. For now, living in the US it will create unnecessary chaos and additional requirements for him whenever he visits Argentina as a child if he is deemed Argentine in addition to a US citizen.

My question is: for domestic travel within Argentina, are there any requirements for documentation? I.e. if he is traveling alone with mom and they are ever stopped by gendarmes or something. Does it make sense to get the escribano letter etc. giving permission to travel domestically for times I am not with them (seems like it would not as law only applies to international travel and you have to specify destination country). I just don't want to run into any problems.

Back