Travel Requirements With Non-Argentine Children...

We will be in a similar situation soon and I want to ensure we are following the requirements.

Dad is US citizen only. Mom is Argentine but naturalized US citizen. Travels on US passport but brings Argentine one in case. Kid is US citizen only with US passport. Just to be safe we are bringing an apostilled birth and marriage certificate. Having done some research, we will not be getting him his DNI or citizenship. When he is 18 and if he wants to pursue it, the option appears open. For now, living in the US it will create unnecessary chaos and additional requirements for him whenever he visits Argentina as a child if he is deemed Argentine in addition to a US citizen.

My question is: for domestic travel within Argentina, are there any requirements for documentation? I.e. if he is traveling alone with mom and they are ever stopped by gendarmes or something. Does it make sense to get the escribano letter etc. giving permission to travel domestically for times I am not with them (seems like it would not as law only applies to international travel and you have to specify destination country). I just don't want to run into any problems.

Just to follow-up to my concern above, the border agents did NOT request anything but our son's Passport when we crossed the border. If we were travelling internally, I would imagine all they would ask for would be the passport to check that his tourist stamp is still valid.

Not sure about travelling internally with just one parent, but very much doubt it would be necessary to have the escribano note if not crossing a border!

NOTE: even though your wife is a naturilzed US Citizen, she would need to enter/leave on her DNI or Argentine Passport to Argentina - there is no other choice!

NOTE: even though your wife is a naturilzed US Citizen, she would need to enter/leave on her DNI or Argentine Passport to Argentina - there is no other choice!

This is not accurate. She can enter the country on a US passport, if she chooses to make clear she is argentine she will get a stamp "ARGENTINO - 180 DIAS".

As long as she leaves during those 180 days, she can leave as well on her US passport - failing that, will have to leave on an Arg one.

(See Migraciones website for details).

My wife has also been able to enter/exit Argentina on her US passport. They give her 180 days.

My wife is Argentine-born naturalized US citizen. She only travels on her US passport (which clearly notes her Argentine birth). It is not true that local documents are needed for travel, internal or external.

Business, of course, is a different thing.

Can anyone speak to the rules if minor foreign child (not Argentine) is traveling to Argentina with one parent. I am finding conflicting information on different Argentine consular websites.

Saludos, all,

Lost my password to prior account so here I am again. Can anyone speak re: their experience with one US parent traveling to Argentina with US citizen only (no ARG citizenship, was not born in Argentina) and the documentation required? General consensus is I just need a notarized consent letter, but would like to hear it from someone who has done it. Should I get notarized consent letter apostilled? Should I get US birth certificate apostilled for carrying, just in case? Thanks.

We always travel with an official copy of our child’s birth certificate, just to be safe. Also, if one of us is traveling with him alone outside of the US, a notarized letter of permission. We’ve never been asked for either, but it’s good for the peace of mind.

Can’t speak from direct experience, but notarized consent letter (+ birth certificate?) sounds like should be enough.
Apostille sounds like overkill. It’s typically required when obtaining residency (or other local) papers.
I’ve never, ever heard of it being required to enter a country.

So, I’m pretty sure my experience is atypical but I once traveled with my son out of Argentina on Copa without my husband. I had to show only our son’s passport and not the birth certificate. Son is a US citizen, not yet Argentine. I’m a US citizen. My husband is a citizen of Argentina. My son has my husband’s last name, and my last name is his middle name. My husband had to leave Argentina earlier than we did to get back for work. Reading these posts, I feel pretty lucky they let us go without more documentation. I had a copy of the birth certificate but nothing from my husband saying it was ok for me to travel alone with our son. But it’s possible they saw that my husband had traveled on the same airline to the US 5 days earlier.

On the same trip, we all traveled from Buenos Aires to Bahia Blanca without problems. They may have asked to see our son’s passport, but not the birth certificate. This was about 3 years ago.

But it’s possible they saw that my husband had traveled on the same airline to the US 5 days earlier.

Very likely completely irrelevant. The child is either accompanied by a given parent, or not.
Not to mention that nobody would be looking through flight manifests from 5 days ago to cross-check.

Son is a US citizen, not yet Argentine. I’m a US citizen.

This is what mattered. Nothing else. They apply completely different requirements to foreigners visiting than to Argentines.
That the father is Argentine is irrelevant - the child entered and left on a US passport, and sounds like he doesn't even have a DNI. That is why a passport sufficed.
Once the child has a DNI, that will not fly under any circumstances.
They will need to see a birth certificate (if a foreign one, possibly translated and/or apostilled?) and a permiso de menor certified by an Argentine escribano.

On the same trip, we all traveled from Buenos Aires to Bahia Blanca without problems. They may have asked to see our son’s passport, but not the birth certificate. This was about 3 years ago.

Of course. On a domestic flight, it’s a completely different story - all they want is ID.
The minor checks are done at entry/exit points to/from Argentina.

Back