Traveler's Checks

juliacc

Registered
Hello again! I am moving down to BA in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone knew whether agencies/landlords accept travelers checks in USD as a means to pay rent. The reason I ask is because I want to be able to put down a few months rent at once and since they ask for USD, I would rather carry around a large sum of money in the form of travelers checks rather than cash. Thanks!

No, they won't accept travelers checks here as a general rule. You will need to have cash. You can bring checks with you and then exchange them when you get here in order to get cash but general rule of thumb (see my PSA in the newcomers forum) is that landlords or realtors will only accept cash.

juliacc said:
Hello again! I am moving down to BA in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone knew whether agencies/landlords accept travelers checks in USD as a means to pay rent. The reason I ask is because I want to be able to put down a few months rent at once and since they ask for USD, I would rather carry around a large sum of money in the form of travelers checks rather than cash. Thanks!

Be wary of who you are doing business with. Have you checked references and assured yourself of the bonafides of the entity to which you are giving a few months rent in advance?

Back