Travelling Around Salta by Car

GingerCat

Registered
Hi Everyone! My husband and I are planning a major tour of some areas of Argentina ... we have never been here before. One of the areas we'd like to tour is the Northwest ...Cafayate, Salta, etc. Right now we're thinking of flying into Salta from BA and then renting a car. Does anyone have a 5-7 day itinerary to suggest? Also do we have to be prepared for possible altitude sickness? Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks very much!

Salta is situated at just under 1200m and it is generally understood that altitude sickness only starts to affect people at altitudes above 2500m. Having said that, there are plenty of higher places in that region. The primary action to take if affected is to reduce your altitude immediately. If you are affected (and to be honest, I think it is unlikely that you will be) you are safe in the knowledge that if you simply turn round and go back to Salta you will dip down into comfortable zones again. Altitude sickness is not to be confused with discomfort at high altitude which can be ameliorated with proprietory medicines. The locals commonly chew coca leaves and you will find plenty of places to buy "coca+bica" in Salta. If you buy coca leaves, do not, under any circumstances attempt to take any of them out of the country.

Attachments

• Salta.jpg
    Salta.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 11
If you rent a car in Salta, the rental agents will have a map and will be able to steer you on a fantastic journey where you can easily spend 5-7 nights. I took this trip and it was wonderful. I would suggest:
1 night in Salta, 1 night in Cafayate (the drive from Salta to Cafayate is breathtaking), 1 night in San Lorenzo and hiking around the natural park, taking the Tren de los Nubes Route to see the Salt Flats, and stay 2-3 more nights in Tilcara/Purmamarca area and exploring the surrounding region by day before coming back and staying one more night in San Lorenzo before heading back "home" (wherever that may be). It's a fantastic region and the only way to really do it is by rental car at your own pace. Have fun!

ETA: I had zero problems with altitude the entire time. I also agree with Mmoon: SKIP tren de las nubes!

We had some altitude reaction at the Salt Flats, but I am convinced that is because we went up there too quickly: went to Tilcara en route to Purmamarca to our hotel and then up to the Flats. So, a bit of a roller-coaster ride. Coca leaves helped some of us - I turned to an old standby - Coca Cola ! The problem was short-lived and, as said, lifted with descent.

But otherwise, we loved the trip to the NOA - Really gorgeous scenery, incredible drives and great empanadas. And the Torontes. Do not miss the Peñas in Salta and other areas. And the small markets and Cafayate - - -We did not get to Cachi, but it is said to be worth the difficult drive. I envy you this trip. Enjoy yourselves.

I just did this trip in September, although I drove the whole thing from BA (not recommended, by the way). A week is perfect.

I loved Cachi the most of all. (Cafayate, not as much.) In Cachi, go check out the crazy rock designs that this guy from Switzerland spent six years building on some land outside the town. It seems he is waiting for a UFO landing. We talked to him and he was actually very cool and intelligent. Also, extremely tan. We stayed at El Cortijo hotel, which was beautiful and reasonably priced.

Purmamarca was wonderful as well. The drive from the salt flats down to Purmamarca is spectacular. I was obsessed with seeing the salt flats, but I ended up feeling ready to leave after 15 minutes. The pictures look better than the actual place.

I would strongly, strongly dissuade you from taking the Tren de las Nubes. It's expensive, LONG, and the scenery elsewhere is much better (such as the drive from Salta down to Cafayate and from Cafayate up to Salta). Make sure your car can handle nerve jangling roads. And have fun!

Thanks very much to all the wonderful folks to posted answers to my questions :)

Now that our plans have firmed up a little bit, here is our proposed itinerary:

Day 1: Fly into Salta, spend afternoon/evening in Salta
Day 2: Rent car, Drive from Salta to Pumamarca via San Salvador de Jujuy, arriving lunchtime at Purmamarca. Drive to salt flats after lunch. Back to Purmamarca for the night.
Day 3: Drive from Pumamarca to Humahuaca, then work our way back, also visiting Tilcara and Maimara, stay in Purmamarca for the night.
Day 4: Drive from Purmamarca to Salta, stay in Salta for the night
Day 5: Drive from Salta to Cachi to Molinos to Cafayate, stay in Cafayate for the night.
Day 6: Drive from Cafayate to Salta, night in Salta ... leaving the next day.

Any comments/suggestions for changes? Anything we must see in the Cafayate area?

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

Day 5 will be tough. Either Cachi and Molinos are worth an overnight. We are wine people and often do the Salta to Molinos to Cafayate to Salta loop. There is a nice Hosteria in Molinos. The CAA hotel in Cachi is also decent. The Colome winery is amazing.

Back