Travelling to Brazil with DNI and without passport

As I said, this is not true for Chile, though it is for Brazil (and, I gather, Paraguay).

Yes, but they've expanded theirs, it now extends to citizens of Canada, Australia, Mexico and Albania(?).
The sad thing is that they probably wouldn't have instituted it in the first place if not for the US, now it's gone for US citizens and stays for the rest.

Yes, Albanians. The rest of them also have to catch up, but Australia and Canada are the worst - advance visas obligatory. In Mexico, it's a small charge for the tourist card, available at the border, and applies to all foreign nationals (except for US citizens in the immediate border area - for example, you can go as far as Ensenada in Baja California without obtaining the tourist card).

But does the status of it being temporary or not have any effect?
Like I said, my experience in Chile was a strange one, but it's an associate
member of mercosur so that makes sense.

I just really don't feel like forking over $75 USD for a quick trip to Paraguay.

I emailed the embassy but I'm not holding my breath.

A DNI or Cedula does not convey citizenship, just residency, so the citizenship of your passport would win out. Although you may hear stories of people crossing borders without needing their passport I wouldn't bet on it as you hear just as many people trying and being turned back, especially if you're not crossing at a small town border and instead flying into one of the main airports. If you need to pay at the border then you can try it and see but if you need to pay or apply in advance I personally wouldn't take the chance.

In fact, in Chile - you enter on your passport, you must pay reciprocity fee. Enter on Argentine DNI - no problems. I assume DNI must be permanent.

Brazil demands passport, at least for non-citizens.

In the case of Chile, reciprocity is no longer in effect if you are a US Citizen (Since Jan 2014 when Chile was added to US Visa Waiver Program). I believe Australia and Canada still applies. That said, I had temporary Uruguayan Cedula a few years ago and got in without paying the fee (or presenting my US passport, but was ready just in case)...and friends that had the same cedula, but DID pay.

I also flew into Aeroparque with my family using our UY Cedulas back then from Montevideo...got out/in no problem more than once (avoiding reciprocity), but when we flew down from the US, they required our US passports, not too surprisingly since they flight originated in US.

Brazil definitely requires a passport and US Citizens have a visa for entry...even if you are permanent resident of Argentina. We tried to convince the consulate otherwise :) , but at least we were able to get the 10-year visa and pay with pesos at official rate so a nice discount when using blue.

In the case of Chile, reciprocity is no longer in effect if you are a US Citizen (Since Jan 2014 when Chile was added to US Visa Waiver Program). I believe Australia and Canada still applies. That said, I had temporary Uruguayan Cedula a few years ago and got in without paying the fee (or presenting my US passport, but was ready just in case)...and friends that had the same cedula, but DID pay.

I also flew into Aeroparque with my family using our UY Cedulas back then from Montevideo...got out/in no problem more than once (avoiding reciprocity), but when we flew down from the US, they required our US passports, not too surprisingly since they flight originated in US.

Brazil definitely requires a passport and US Citizens have a visa for entry...even if you are permanent resident of Argentina. We tried to convince the consulate otherwise :) , but at least we were able to get the 10-year visa and pay with pesos at official rate so a nice discount when using blue.

In Puerto Iguazú, the Brazilians would not let me pay with pesos, but they did provide same-day service.

Back