Travelling With Argentinian Children To Europe

AmandaBurgess

Registered
I am a British citizen married to an Argentinian and living in Argentina. I want to take our two children on holiday for a month to Europe to visit family but relationships are tense between my mum and my husband therefore he will not be coming.
He has said I must have his permission to take the children out of the country but he is reluctant to give it to me because of said problem.
my children have both their Father´s surname and my surname, and have Argentinian and British passports.
is he entitled to prevent me from taking the children to see their English family?
we are married, not separated or divorced.
any advice would be gratefully received.

Doesn't foreign travel with minors require permission from both parents? Therefore you would need his written permission - at minimum notarized - if he's not going.

He is correct. You must have permission from him to leave the country with your children regardless of whether you are married, separated or divorced. Yo can do it now a the registro civil in Capital or a lawyer can do it. He can do a one time permission or you can do it for a longer period of time. Sorry to hear and hope the situation gets resolved amicably.

Yes, you need to get the 'autorización de viaje' from a notario ... it has to be signed by both parents. It takes a while because after the notary it has to be sent for 'legalización'. They won't let the children out of the country without it.

Unfortunately this is very much the case. There are a few posts about it here as well. It's incredibly strict (in many cases for good reason, but difficult for cases such as yours). I have a Kiwi friend that wasn't allowed to bring his 3 year old daughter to New Zealand. (Falling out with the mother) He had even allowed the mother to bring his daughter to the Netherlands just the year before, but she would not reciprocate.

http://baexpats.org/topic/31405-travel-permission-for-minor-fast-escribano/

I have heard cases of parents traveling together with the child/ren...that migracion requests the permiso de viaje although it should not be required if legal birth certificates (Argentine or foreign born) are shown. Yes, this even applies to foreign kids with Argentine DNIs....

Good luck! I hope you can reconcile.

thank you all so much for your advice and support. I guess I will have to do more sucking up and hope he sees sense!

I have heard cases of parents traveling together with the child/ren...that migracion requests the permiso de viaje although it should not be required if legal birth certificates (Argentine or foreign born) are shown. Yes, this even applies to foreign kids with Argentine DNIs....

This happened to us. My wife and I were travelling with our two young children (both with US passports and Argentine DNIs), flying out of Ezeiza. Thinking that we did not need the permiso if both parents were present, we had left the document it at home. No amount of cajoling would sway them. We had to change our flight for the next night. Luckily, the airline was sympathetic and let us do so without a penalty. At the time I was apoplectic. In retrospect, it seems like a good law.

This happened to us. My wife and I were travelling with our two young children (both with US passports and Argentine DNIs), flying out of Ezeiza. Thinking that we did not need the permiso if both parents were present, we had left the document it at home. No amount of cajoling would sway them. We had to change our flight for the next night. Luckily, the airline was sympathetic and let us do so without a penalty. At the time I was apoplectic. In retrospect, it seems like a good law.
You were traveling together and were leaving together and needed a permiso to leave together? This makes no sense. We travel in and out all the time together and never had this problem. We bring kid's passports and birth certificate and various DNI docs... seems birth certificate is key when traveling together.

Now, can someone send us a good document to use to give one another permission to leave with kid at anytime?

And when entering US with one parent do they need some kind of permission paper also?

Yes, you need to get the 'autorización de viaje' from a notario ... it has to be signed by both parents. It takes a while because after the notary it has to be sent for 'legalización'. They won't let the children out of the country without it.
DO you go to Tribunales for legalization? I read on another thread if Escribano does it it is immediate. Is this not the case.

This is quite an old thread, so I would like to know if there are any changes regarding this.

I (European) will go with my daughter to Europe on vacation. Everything fine with my wife (Argentinian) and she will sign whatever is needed. Question: what kind of document is needed exactly (autorizacion de viaje) and what is the most efficient way to get it (only via escribano?)?

Back