Trip To Colonia.

chancellor

Registered
Today we are taking a day trip to Uruguay. Bought the tickets to SeaCat. Really looking forward to it. One question: do they have a "blue rate" thing there too? I'm getting really itchy to use a credit card - miss the feeling of spending "virtual money" :) Thanks.

If you have Argentine CC use it ! not advisable to pay with Argentina Pesos.

Good Luck

Rich One, don't have Argentinian cards, only American. I'm assuming that USD is good there too.

I would just use your credit card or get out Uruguayan pesos of the ATM to use for the day.
The restaurants will obviously accept dollars and will usually write the amount in pesos (uruguayan and argentine) and dollars but to me the rate isn't always advantageous

No one answered his question. Use your card freely. There's no blue rate of any kind. Enjoy. And yes, I would get as many dollars as possible since ATMs will dispense dollars. You'll have to do it 300 at a time but if your bank can give you a higher limit, take advantage of it.

I would just use your credit card or get out Uruguayan pesos of the ATM to use for the day.
The restaurants will obviously accept dollars and will usually write the amount in pesos (uruguayan and argentine) and dollars but to me the rate isn't always advantageous

Make sure you pay with dollar bills in smaller denominations, (other than $100) the restos will make change in Uruguayan pesos... so you may end up with a large amount of leftover URu pesos. To spend at the duty-free...!! The Dollar rate at restos is sometimes slightly higher than the exchange places. Will round up decimals

Thanks everyone! Had a blast in Colonia - well worth the trip. Kids enjoyed running around freely and my honey took photos for hours. Thanks again for all your help.

Back