TSA Approved Locks

Cheng

Registered
Hi, Where can I buy some TSA Approved locks in Buenos Aires? We had stuff stolen from our suitcases (vitamins, our kids shoes, suntan lotion) on the way over. I know it was naive not to lock all compartments but we were very late and had traveled overseas a lot but never had this happen to us. Thanks for all help.

Cheng said:
Hi, Where can I buy some TSA Approved locks in Buenos Aires? We had stuff stolen from our suitcases (vitamins, our kids shoes, suntan lotion) on the way over. I know it was naive not to lock all compartments but we were very late and had traveled overseas a lot but never had this happen to us. Thanks for all help.

Doubt if locks would help. Best advice is to keep all valuable items in your carry on luggage. If they want your stuff locks aren't going to stop them. Only check stuff that is not of high value and can be replaced.

...oh and TSA approved locks mean security teams in the US have skeleton keys that can open them without breaking them. But, here's the glitch, don't think for an instant that customs/baggage handlers in other countries don't have copies of the exact same keys. It's a cute system but fundamentally flawed.

I think that the locks help to discourage people. They'd rather hit a bag without the locks first.

Also, the thing about wrapping your bags in plastic wrap at the airport that I never really understood before makes a lot of sense now. I had sneakers and my satellite radio stolen when a bag I had was delayed into BA.

As long as the thief doesn't have a pen and a couple of seconds, a luggage lock might keep your stuff safe (see demonstration below).

Probably best not to check anything you can't lose though (or go for the plastic wrap route which slows the process down a little more).

"Break into and reseal a locked suitcase demonstration":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI&feature=related

Don't they have to open the plastic wrap to inspect?

I just flew from NYC to San Francisco...I found a note in one of the bags I checked that said "This bag was inspected by the TSA. Note: If we had to cut open a lock to inspect the bag, we apologize, but...we're not liable, so..." I'd never seen that before...The bag was filled with various electronics, and they take a real close look at that, it seems.

Your best bet is never to let things out of your sight...Locks can be picked/broken, and bags can be cut. I've thought about the plastic wrap, but I've concluded it's just better not to draw attention.

I use nylon cable ties and cut off the long end. Yes, you can cut them off with a pair of scissors but it takes time and hopefully it stops the opportunist. Also, I like to know who and where someone was in my luggage. p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Back