U.S. Federal Tax Returns

pescador

Registered
Here is my situation / hopefully someone has some experience with a similar issue.
My native girlfriend has recieved a tax return check from the fed. from 2006, therefore it could not be a "direct-deposit". Is there anything we can do aside from her notarizing it in a "pay to the order of" style into my U.S. acount, and then mailing it back to the states? I've heard whispers of financial penalties if it were to be deposited in Argentina. I was hoping to avoid that, and would rather not risk the mail system which takes an unpredictable week to month at times.
Any advice will help because as you well know, a significant wad of dollars goes a long way down here. "Well, lets just say, longer than in the U.S"

If you want the cash here and now, there are "casas de cambio" that will take the check and cash it for you, -no-questions asked- for something between 20 or 30 dollars. How they process the check afterwards becomes their problem. You get your cash instantly, minus the fee.
Sending by courier can cost almost as much. The banking zone around San Martin street a block from Florida walk-way, has several places doing this. Some charge a percentage of about 1.75%.

Thanks for the advice. I will check into "casas de cambio" , sounds like the easiest route. I've been looking for a Fed-Ex depot without any luck. Any locations come to mind, preperrably close to Plaza Italia. On a related note, where can simple stamps be found? I get tired of wainting in line to mail letters, and then paying through the nose. (I guess I should just swallow down the fact that lines are going to be everywhere I go) When I ask the clerk if they have any stamps, the answer is always, no.

It sometimes seems that lines are a way of life in Argentina (or, at least, in gran Bs.As.). I go to post offices, even if it requires standing in line, because I fear not putting on enough postage and thus risking nondelivery of my outgoing mail (and postal rates do change often). However, some kioscos offer postage stamps: you probably have to ask and to pay a premium (and may risk learning an incorrect rate -- double-check online, I suppose), but purchasing there would be faster than the trip to yet another line.

Back