UBA Spanish Language Course, DNI & Citizenship

Neoperm

Registered
I will be following no-DNI route for citizenship application and won't have DNI, at lest in the very beginning.

After applying for citizenship ASAP after reaching Argentina, I may join UBA Spanish Language program to learn Spanish, make some friends, and hopefully get a DNI.

I have been in touch with UBA. It seems I can first enter Argentina on a tourist visa, and join the 4-month long Spanish language course at UBA (need to follow their academic calendar).

I am wondering if I stay a 3-6 month with extended tourist visa, and then join 4 month long language program, I may be able to legally stay in Argentina for 7-8 month of a given year, and then repeat the same for the next year to fulfill two years of stay requirement for citizenship. Does this makes sense?

Anyone tried UBA? Do they teach in English? Is it possible to get the DNI if I enroll into a 4 month language learning course?

Buddy I'm sorry but you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. It seems like you're basing all of this off forum posts here without actually having any experience in Argentina. You're asking all sorts of questions lately and I fear you've constructed a set of very unrealistic expectations for yourself.

- You only get transitory residency for anything less than a full blown bachelor level university course, so your Spanish courses will give you the equivalent to a tourist visa, it just lasts longer and can be renewed more. This does not count towards the legislated citizenship requirements of 2 years of temporary or permanent residency, meaning you will need to pay a lawyer to take the constitutional route for you in court. There are very few lawyers who know how to do this and those who do are incredibly expensive.

- No residency citizenship is an incredibly arduous, long, and insecure process. It can take years and years. If you are legally inclined and read the files for such cases, the lawyers involved use very underhanded tactics in your name. It is not something you want to do unless all other options are exhausted. Some of the lawyers on this forum may try to imply otherwise, but remember that they are trying to sell you their services so obviously they're biased.

- In the meantime you will have all kinds of complications. It is seriously not a fun state to be in. It's legal limbo where you have no access to basic services that require a DNI and every exit from the country carries a risk of refusal of reentry which you will need to pay a lawyer to file a habeus corpus to rectify. You will have to live in relatively expensive temporary rentals because there is no way you'll be able to get a garantía for a long term contracted rental with such a status. There are so many other disadvantages, these are just some of the most obvious.

The best thing to do if you honestly want to live here is to study a licenciatura and take it seriously. You will need high level Spanish and a high school diploma. This gives you renewable temporary residency which can become permanent after two years. Don't even think about citizenship until later.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for raising those issues.

Sure, hiring a lawyer is expensive. Then, it's all relative. For example, paying US $6500 fee to a lawer is more affordable compared to what it'd cost in Portugal (it takes 6 years to get passport). Although Portugal passport ranks better, the economy and cost of living are much higher. Even a studio in Lisbon is about Eur 800.

It seems $1000 per person per month is not a bad amount to have a decent lifestyle in CABA. With the help of an experienced lawyer, it generally takes 2.5 to 3.5 years to get Argentine passport. Basically the total expenses, including the lawyer fee, for 3.5 years should be about $45,000. That's not a bad deal. Carribean passports (with higher golden visa expenses) rank much lower.

Personally. I do have interest in learning Spanish.

Argentina looks to be promising.

Last edited:
For a temporary furnished rental, $1000 per month is around the minimum you'll be paying just on housing and bills. prices are higher in general due to much higher demand right now from all the Russians. $2000 is much more realistic for a newcomer with no Spanish and no hookups.

Also, not sure if you got it, but that's 3.5 years with no travel outside the country and no legal status living in holiday homes, and the citizenship isn't guaranteed. It's not great.

Also, not sure if you got it, but that's 3.5 years with no travel outside the country and no legal status living in holiday homes, and the citizenship isn't guaranteed. It's not great.
Indeed, it's not great. Just doing some research and trying to find the best possible routes.

I am currently living in a beautiful country. Life is great over here. However, no path to PR or citizenship.

Basically, some shit everywhere. :)

I am glad to receive your "critical" inputs. Thanks a ton.

Back