Ukraine media coverage - US vs. Argentina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camel

Registered
I'm not currently in Argentina, but I'm trying to get a feel for the media coverage from Argentina media versus US media about the situation in Ukraine. Most of what I see in US media seems to say that Russia has had limited success so far. What's the sense in Argentina? I just checked Clarin and LaNacion and at a glance, it seemed to show more destruction in Kyiv (painting a slightly more negative picture for Ukraine / more positive for Russia). And Argentina, as a country, seems to have a better relationship with Russia than the US does.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I know there are lots of people of Ukranian descent in Argentina. (In fact, I believe the guy who stated Jevi (the kioskos) is Ukranian! They called him Jevi in school because he likes Heavy Metal. Anyone ever notice how Jevi kioskos often have heavy metal playing?).

I find Infobae and La Nación to be pretty similar to BBC or European media sources... reporting on both Ukrainian and Russian losses. They appear however to be faster at breaking developments that are closer to what social media users on the scene are reporting and showing, often also using uncensored images of bodies and POWs that are definitely not shown on European / North American media giving a far more "raw" perspective of events. This quick-fire reporting also makes them more likely to fall victim of disinformation campaigns, however they have issued retractions where due. The language used is definitely more pro-Ukrainian than pro-Russian, they focus heavily on the illegitimacy of the Russian aggression and harm caused without trying to sugar-coat it or hide distain for Putin.

Media here is definitely not like Russian media which is outright banned from calling it a "war", an "invasion" or reporting on any Russian casualties or POWs (The Russian government only today acknowledged that there are Russian casualties after falsely claiming there were none, trying to sell the picture that their "peacekeepers" were welcomed with open arms... and well, as many thousands of Russians have now been arrested for simply saying "no to war" in a public place, you can only imagine the integrity of Russian state controlled media at this time) Only Pagina 12 however unsurprisingly seems to run some articles that appear to promote the Russian version of "events" and claims of "genocide".

Here like most places in the world, the majority of people regardless of what side of the political divide they sit on are repulsed / shocked by Russian actions and feel sad for the Ukrainian people, if anything. Like in Russia itself, very few people believe much or anything coming out of official sources in Moscow or the "justifications" used. Even the Argentine government seems to be trying to distance itself from Russia in public at the moment (even if they refuse to use harsh words, support multilateral condemnations or impose any kind of actual sanction) because it is apparent how unpopular this is.

I find Infobae and La Nación to be pretty similar to BBC or European media sources... reporting on both Ukrainian and Russian losses. They appear however to be faster at breaking developments that are closer to what social media users on the scene are reporting and showing, often also using uncensored images of bodies and POWs that are definitely not shown on European / North American media giving a far more "raw" perspective of events. This quick-fire reporting also makes them more likely to fall victim of disinformation campaigns, however they have issued retractions where due. The language used is definitely more pro-Ukrainian than pro-Russian, they focus heavily on the illegitimacy of the Russian aggression and harm caused without trying to sugar-coat it or hide distain for Putin.

Media here is definitely not like Russian media which is outright banned from calling it a "war", an "invasion" or reporting on any Russian casualties or POWs (The Russian government only today acknowledged that there are Russian casualties after falsely claiming there were none, trying to sell the picture that their "peacekeepers" were welcomed with open arms... and well, as many thousands of Russians have now been arrested for simply saying "no to war" in a public place, you can only imagine the integrity of Russian state controlled media at this time) Only Pagina 12 however unsurprisingly seems to run some articles that appear to promote the Russian version of "events" and claims of "genocide".

Here like most places in the world, the majority of people regardless of what side of the political divide they sit on are repulsed / shocked by Russian actions and feel sad for the Ukrainian people, if anything. Like in Russia itself, very few people believe much or anything coming out of official sources in Moscow or the "justifications" used. Even the Argentine government seems to be trying to distance itself from Russia in public at the moment (even if they refuse to use harsh words, support multilateral condemnations or impose any kind of actual sanction) because it is apparent how unpopular this is.
I was shocked to see comments almost exclusively applauding Putin on página 12's social media accounts, an autocrat who gives a f☆☆☆ about those human rights ( freedom of speech, lgbt rights etc.) they all pretend to value so much.

lanacion and most media here is definitely anti-Russia , I'd estimate 95% pro Ukraine. Nothing was reported on the intensified bombing of Russian speaking civilians by the Ukraine army in the weeks just prior to the Russian invasion, so most of the Argentine public will only get one perspective on this conflict. K5N (C5N) tries to ignore the subject when ever possible.

I'm not currently in Argentina, but I'm trying to get a feel for the media coverage from Argentina media versus US media about the situation in Ukraine. Most of what I see in US media seems to say that Russia has had limited success so far. What's the sense in Argentina? I just checked Clarin and LaNacion and at a glance, it seemed to show more destruction in Kyiv (painting a slightly more negative picture for Ukraine / more positive for Russia). And Argentina, as a country, seems to have a better relationship with Russia than the US does.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I know there are lots of people of Ukranian descent in Argentina. (In fact, I believe the guy who stated Jevi (the kioskos) is Ukranian! They called him Jevi in school because he likes Heavy Metal. Anyone ever notice how Jevi kioskos often have heavy metal playing?).
The owner of the Jevi Kioskos is Ucranian. Years ago, he used to hang out at a cafe in a Galeria on Sta Fe near Scalabrinni Ortiz. I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back