unfriendly people

I would imagine a lot of unfriendliness would have to do with the "city face" that people walk around with. Regardless of whether you're from Buenos Aires, this is a huge city that presents danger to anybody. Walking around smiling all the time makes you more vulnerable. That said, if you actually speak to someone you shoud break through that "city face" armor and find a warm and caring person underneath. The people here are different than I'm used to, but can easily throw the adjectives "warm" "friendly" and "caring" out to describe them. I've had a MUCH easier time meeting people and making friends here than I did when I lived in Seattle.

Buenos Aires is a city of over 12 million people with a lot of crime on the streets and also sleazy people as well who make lewd comments to passerbys . That is the reason that many have that pofaced:eek: look on the streets . What do you expect them to have a warm smile with a apple to greet the neighbour :p

I also am very unfriendly on the streets and look straight ahead with a energy of do not mess with me . This is called survival in a big dangerous city and thats all . I have never once been robbed on the streets here taking this attitude.

I suggest to those who are judging people from a street level to go to an argentine party or function and you will be very suprised at the warm smiles and fun attitude that people have here when they let there guard down . Argentinians are known world wide for enjoying the la vida loca but unfortunately due to modern life in Buenos Aires a different side is presented street level that is not the reality

MizzMarr said:
Walking around smiling all the time makes you more vulnerable.

I agree with your larger point, but couldn't disagree more with this particular sentence. Walking around smiling all the time makes you vulnerable to one thing only: happiness.

Does smiling mean that you are happy or that you care for the other person
The asian culture who smile a lot have a much higher suicide rate than us and why is that you may ask ?

Over time you will also get to like the indifferent service in restaurants as it gives you time to enjoy and linger over a meal . When I was living in Australia it never ceased to amaze me the amount of times you would be interrupted by a waiter asking if you needed more food or drink or could you leave...............

Looking at cultures makes you always look within yourself and if you cannot accept or adapt to change after 4 years the problem is you not the culture.
Accept what you cannot change and enjoy the ride . For me many negatives of the life here I have turned into positives now and all took was a diffferent attitude.

pericles said:
Over time you will also get to like the indifferent service in restaurants as it gives you time to enjoy and linger over a meal . When I was living in Australia it never ceased to amaze me the amount of times you would be interrupted by a waiter asking if you needed more food or drink or could you leave...............

Looking at cultures makes you always look within yourself and if you cannot accept or adapt to change after 4 years the problem is you not the culture.
Accept what you cannot change and enjoy the ride . For me many negatives of the life here I have turned into positives now and all took was a diffferent attitude.

Ha! You've obviously not been to England, don't think indifferent service, think no service. I have only had bad service once in Buenos Aires and I think that they were just trying to make me feel at home.

austin said:
A recurrent theme here seems to be the relative indifference of the local people. Argentines don't seem to be warm and cheerful like other Latin Americans. Is this your experience? I'd especially like to hear from expats who lived in other Latin American countries.

Try kissing them, yes the blokes I mean presuming you are a bloke - it makes them think that you are really argentinian! It also breaks through the barrier of being an outsider, "do we offer him mate or will he hate it" etc...

If you want to make friends, be effusive and then ask them round to dinner...it's that simple.

We´re friendly, specially the ones in small towns...

I wrote a new topic... hope they accept my topic...

Choripan....where you from chico.....litmus test....BA isnt the real Argentina as London isnt the real England.I find most Argentinos are nice people and friendly
but I don't live in the capitol....so if you want real people for friends take a trip out of BA and you will see how good and guenine the people are....suerte

forgot to mention how the bloke from "GILLIGANS ISLAND" gets on with everybody cause thats where i come from....haha "BLIMEY O'REILLY'......YUR A BIT LIKE FRANK CARSON......"its the way I tell em" kin hairyasse.....suerte

I'm actually surprised to read this thread because my experience has been the exact opposite. I've been living here for about 2 years now and have never made an xpat friend, but every one of the many argentines i've met has treated me so well, i've made some of the best friends i've ever had here. The best advice i can give to really break down the barriers would be to really learn the language, get rid of your accent, you'll see how quickly people open up to you once they realize how a-typical you are.

Back