Uruguay VS Argentina, as Expat Destination

brandwach

Registered
I am interested in both Argentina and Uruguay as an expat destination.
Do any of you have any Experience, Commentary, Opinions regarding life in these two beautiful countries, especially regarding issues like: culture, lifestyle, diversion, people, prices, weather, politics, stability, ease of Immigration (entering on Tourist visa, staying and getting temp and perma residency.)
thanks and best to you all!

What first comes to mind is the cost of living, which is higher in Uruguay since it s a small country that has to import most of its goods.

fifilafiloche said:
What first comes to mind is the cost of living, which is higher in Uruguay since it s a small country that has to import most of its goods.
Don't forget the "cost of boredom". That's higher in Uruguay because you're constantly having to spend on things to not be bored.

It depends on what you want. According to Mercer cost of living survey B.A. B.A. ranks 112 and Montevideo 131. Also inflation is very high in Argentina and much less so in Uruguay so the difference in COL is probably growing. If you want the big city life than B.A. is probably your best bet. If you want nice beaches I would try Uruguay. Remember Argentina is unstable politically and economically. Uruguay seems to have their act together much more than Argentina in this department. Keep this in mind if you are planning on buying property or making other investments. If you are just going to rent then it doesn't make that much difference. Visit both would be my recommendation and make up your own mind.

gouchobob said:
It depends on what you want. According to Mercer cost of living survey B.A. B.A. ranks 112 and Montevideo 131. Also inflation is very high in Argentina and much less so in Uruguay so the difference in COL is probably growing. If you want the big city life than B.A. is probably your best bet. If you want nice beaches I would try Uruguay. Remember Argentina is unstable politically and economically. Uruguay seems to have their act together much more than Argentina in this department. Keep this in mind if you are planning on buying property or making other investments. If you are just going to rent then it doesn't make that much difference. Visit both would be my recommendation and make up your own mind.

dont forget about the gun-toting youth in BA, URU is much safer.

also the air is cleaner in URU and flights are cheaper with less strikes

I have lived both in Bs As and in Montevideo, and I agree with gouchobob. But keep in mind, when one talks about "Argentina" one must be more specific....I think of Argentina as two countries, one being Buenos Aires city and the other the "rest of the country." The City is a bif, hectic, sometimes dangerous place, whereas in the provincias life is more lais back, in Mendoza they sleep the siesta...I think it's the same in every part of the world.
Napolean talks of boredom, but life is as exciting as you make it, in my opinion. The people in Monte are extremely well educated and pleasant, the smaller town atmosphere lends itself to a more relaxing experience.

Got to be honest, I'm in BA, and I don't see safety being all that bad, you just have to know what not to do...but it's going to be like this in any of the major cities in the world. I come from Washington D.C. which I don't think is any safer than BA. So if you know what to do, safety isn't going to be a huge concern.

Back