Uruguay VS Argentina, as Expat Destination

Montevideo is a fifth-class city...don't know what it was before...but it's very boring and most of it is ugly. It's good to visit for a few days maybe.

BA is not unsafe at all...I don't know why this idea keeps getting thrown around. I'm up all night and often take long walks I've never had a problem. I've heard a lot of Argentinians complain about crime here and I don't get it.

Your choice should be between Buenos Aires and Rio...that would be a tough choice. Depends what you're looking for though...

pandulf.ironhead said:
BA is not unsafe at all...I don't know why this idea keeps getting thrown around. I'm up all night and often take long walks I've never had a problem. I've heard a lot of Argentinians complain about crime here and I don't get it.

Keep strolling around at nights in the wrong neighborhoods and you will get it...

pandulf.ironhead said:

Your choice should be between Buenos Aires and Rio...that would be a tough choice. Depends what you're looking for though...

comical! how long have you been here and where do you live?

my first robbery attempt was in POHO around 2-3am while i was making out with someone on the street. i was lucky that i kept one eye open. the next and more successful attempt came a block away from my house at 7am on sunday outside san telmo. i guy pulled out a gun in broad daylight.

this city is dangerous as hell, just because the robbers are white pseudo euros doesnt make them any less dangerous. My german friends get robbed all the time.

personally im over BA and can see why the rest of ARG hates this city... too much BS

Ryoga said:
comical! how long have you been here and where do you live?

my first robbery attempt was in POHO around 2-3am while i was making out with someone on the street. i was lucky that i kept one eye open. the next and more successful attempt came a block away from my house at 7am on sunday outside san telmo. i guy pulled out a gun in broad daylight.

this city is dangerous as hell, just because the robbers are white pseudo euros doesnt make them any less dangerous. My german friends get robbed all the time.

personally im over BA and can see why the rest of ARG hates this city... too much BS

I've lived here around a year...I lived near Botanico and now near Callao and Santa Fe. I walk around at night all the time, never even felt threatened...I've walked all over Palermo and back, I walk in Centro, Retiro, etc. BA is really not dangerous at all...try Rio or Johannesburg; Argentinians like to whine about this to foreigners for some reason, and I see them taking all sorts of precautions, it seems absurd to me. My guess it used to be far safer even but a few incidents have shocked them into being overly cautious because they're not used to it.

Plaza Constitucion and Plaza Once are dangerous at night but you have no reason to go there...and even in those places it's not nearly as dangerous as some of the cities I've mentioned...

I'm not surprised German tourists are easy to rob...they probably hand over their money at the first hello...

Callao and Santa Fe? Wow, you're smackdab in the ghetto! Please, all you have to worry about is dog shit and the cantankerous old ladies trying to walk 7 blocks to Aroma for their afternoon cafecito.

I would say Buenos Aires is quite dangerous. I've only been pickpocketed. You definitely can't trust a soul BsAs, but welcome to a big city. Anyway, from all of the stories I hear from others, I think I've just been lucky.

No matter what big city you go to in the world, there is going to be a chance to get robbed. Every city has places that are safer than others. Every city has places that you should just not go during the night.

If you are out alone at night, try to stay in areas where there's more people, and keep your head up and be aware of your surroundings. The biggest thing is just to know where not to go in the city.

It's going to be the same in every major city in the world, and I personally feel safer here than I feel in Washington D.C.

orwellian said:
Keep strolling around at nights in the wrong neighborhoods and you will get it...
This is a RETARDED statement.

Do this in Rosario, Santiago, New Orleans, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Dublin, Moscow, Jerusalem, Bagdad, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Osaka, Vancouver...

Mindboggling how retarded this statement is.

PS- "...around at NIGHT in the..." Night should be singular. It's a time of the day in this case, not multiple days.

pandulf.ironhead said:
I've lived here around a year...I lived near Botanico and now near Callao and Santa Fe. I walk around at night all the time, never even felt threatened...I've walked all over Palermo and back, I walk in Centro, Retiro, etc. BA is really not dangerous at all...try Rio or Johannesburg; Argentinians like to whine about this to foreigners for some reason, and I see them taking all sorts of precautions, it seems absurd to me. My guess it used to be far safer even but a few incidents have shocked them into being overly cautious because they're not used to it.

I somewhat agree with you. While I do think that mugging is an issue in BsAs and should be taken seriously, I also think that Argies tend to over exaggerate. I myself have never been mugged while here, nor has anyone in my family, or friends of the family. Yet it constantly comes up in conversation. It's pretty easy to prevent it. Just stay in a group, take a taxi, or stay on busy streets, and you should be fine.

Napoleon, San Francisco?!?!? Really? Sounds like you've never been there. I've lived there for years and not once have I ever been in a situation remotely close to being mugged. I've even walked through the tenderloin very late at night many times. Half of those times drunk too. Also, make sure you read this post entirely. Heaven forbid I make a grammatical error.

fifilafiloche said:
Boredom is the privilege of people lacking imagination ;)

i just gotta say, i always love filoche's quotes and insights :) rock on fifilafiloche!

Back