US citizen deported at Ezeiza

Bajo_cero2

Registered
Yesterday a US cirizen was deported at Ezeiza for the abuse of the I-94 (tourist visa). FYI.

More information please. Was it someone who had entered and exited multiple times, seemingly on visa runs? Or someone who overstayed?

There has been a massive increase of deportations of foreign residents residing in Argentina the last year. I certainly would not feel comfortable being here on a tourist visa doing the Uruguay run now.

I'm a friend of the guy who was barred entry. I believe he was taking trips to Colonia, not overstaying, and that he was not warned about being barred from the country, but I'll try to confirm with him.

He had overstays but was never warned by a border agent that he was in danger of being barred entry before yesterday.

"not overstaying" > "had overstays" - what.... The poor guy probably fell in love with an Argentine - now the honeymoon is over.

There has been a massive increase of deportations of foreign residents residing in Argentina the last year. I certainly would not feel comfortable being here on a tourist visa doing the Uruguay run now.

Agreed. I wonder what Argentina gains and loses (particularly financially) due to this crackdown. Since they turned a blind eye for so many years to the perma-tourists, they must have thought it was a boon to the economy or worth it to be considered an expat hot spot.

We have the numerator (1), but what is the denominator? The statistic is almost meaningless without the denominator. If we have 1 deportation for this every 6 months, and we have 100,000 entries, then we have 0.001% deportations. You can adjust the denominator as necessary to get the statistic you want. For example, if we know 1000 "permatourists" enter every 6 months, and 1 is deported, then we have 0.1% deportations of permatourists. But I doubt this last number is published.

Agreed. I wonder what Argentina gains and loses (particularly financially) due to this crackdown. Since they turned a blind eye for so many years to the perma-tourists, they must have thought it was a boon to the economy or worth it to be considered an expat hot spot.

There is no reason on xenophobia, it is irrational.

Back