Us Citizen Marrying An Argentine. Paperwork Advice

they don't charge an argentine that enters with their US passport? that just doesn't make any sense.
Yes it does. On the bottom of the front page of her US passport it says Place of Birth.................Argentina. Mine says New York USA. So they know that shes carrying a DNI and not subject to the retaliation fee.

Me (Argentinian) and my husband (American) got married 6 months ago here in Argentina. This is what we needed/had to:

First Consideration - you need to be within the legal 3 month period you are granted upon entering the country. For us, we had done the (not legal) Uruguay run several times (when we thought it was legal, oops) so he was "safe". However, the first available date to get married fell outside of that date. Let's say his 3 month period ended on June 10 and the first available date we had to get married was June 19, so we had to head over to Dirección Nacional de Migraciones and request for a Prorroga. We flat out said it was in order to get married and we were granted it (AR$300). The clerk told us it was good for 3 more months and I asked, "once we are married, do we have to start his DNI paperwork before those 3 months are up?" and his reply was "it doesn't matter" (not sure how accurate that is, but it is what he said).

Firs actual step - Head over to the Registro Civil that your spouse has assigned. If you live outside of Capital Federal this is based on where your spouse was born. If your spouse's residence, as stated in their DNI is in Capital Federal, then ANY Registro Civil from Capital Federal will do.

I don't remember all the paperwork needed, but for sure it included both our birth certificates (we had his aunt get his back in Arkansas, scan it and email the scan, then printed it out), his passport and my DNI. Once you show up to get a date you will be given a list of things you need to turn in within a few days that include those, the DNIs of all witnesses and, if you don't speak spanish, you will need to hire a licensed translator. We found ours through http://www.traductores.org.ar/buscar (if you want, I can get you in touch with her - just PM me).

They probably don't charge because they know theyre Argentine. Your birthplace is listed in your passport. But I thought you were supposed to use the 'local' passport when entering and leaving the country?
My dad uses his US passport instead of his Argentine.. so does his wife.
I you have dual citizenship there's no reason why you shouldn't use the country of residence passport, even if you are born in another country.

My dad uses his US passport instead of his Argentine.. so does his wife.
I you have dual citizenship there's no reason why you shouldn't use the country of residence passport, even if you are born in another country.

Many years ago, a friend of mine who is a retired USAF Colonel got queried by immigration officials as to why he hadn't done his servicio obligatorio (he was born in Buenos Aires, of diplomatic parents).

Got married 3 years ago here in BsAs. I was here as a visitor, my wife's Argentine. They never even bothered checking the passport for stamps or asked about the legal status. None of that mattered at the time. Its strange that Mari Yagami had to go through making sure her fiance was not "irregular". But that should tell you that nothing here is set in stone, it all depends on what side of the bed the secretary at Registro Civil woke up.

We had to notify Registro Civil of our intent to marry 28 days before the day we wanted to get married. We got our medical done 10 (or was it 7?) days before the day. Went in on the day, got a judge who was in a pretty good mood. He made a couple of jokes, declared us married and the rest is history. ;)

If you want to live here for the next couple of years then I'd suggest get married here since folks here have a thing for paperwork where they refuse to accept legitimate paperwork from other countries for no reason.

To avoid that, get your paperwork done here. The US is a lot more flexible in accepting foreign documents than Argentina.

Got married 3 years ago here in BsAs. I was here as a visitor, my wife's Argentine. They never even bothered checking the passport for stamps or asked about the legal status. None of that mattered at the time. Its strange that Mari Yagami had to go through making sure her fiance was not "irregular". But that should tell you that nothing here is set in stone, it all depends on what side of the bed the secretary at Registro Civil woke up.

We had to notify Registro Civil of our intent to marry 28 days before the day we wanted to get married. We got our medical done 10 (or was it 7?) days before the day. Went in on the day, got a judge who was in a pretty good mood. He made a couple of jokes, declared us married and the rest is history. ;)

If you want to live here for the next couple of years then I'd suggest get married here since folks here have a thing for paperwork where they refuse to accept legitimate paperwork from other countries for no reason.

To avoid that, get your paperwork done here. The US is a lot more flexible in accepting foreign documents than Argentina.

When I got married in Olavarria, the Registro Civil's only apparent concern was whether I understood enough Spanish to realize what I was getting into (I did and didn't).

Can someone explain the process I need to start everything? I am married to an Argentine. We have been married for about 9 months now an dI have just been leaving every 3 months for work. I have both US and Italian Passports with me. Where do I begin? Do I need to have copies of any documents from back home, like Birth certificates, etc.?

Thanks!

Can someone explain the process I need to start everything? I am married to an Argentine. We have been married for about 9 months now an dI have just been leaving every 3 months for work. I have both US and Italian Passports with me. Where do I begin? Do I need to have copies of any documents from back home, like Birth certificates, etc.?

Thanks!
What process?

Out of curiosity, is my US-born daughter automatically entitled to Argentine citizenship (Argentine mother)? Would I be automatically entitled to residence if I wanted it (married in Olavarría thirty-some years ago)?

Back