Us Citizen Marrying An Argentine. Paperwork Advice

sorry, please ignore this...has some trouble figuring out the quote option.

[font=Helvetica Neue']One more VERY IMPORTANT thing. Does your SO have a tourist visa to the U.S. yet? If not, strongly consider getting one before marriage. Once they are married to a USC, foreigners are almost never approved, and without one, your spouse will not be able to travel to the U.S. at all until the spouse visa is approved. This can take a very long time. Or, if you change your mind and decide to stay in Argentina, your spouse might never be approved for a tourist visa, which means they can never make visits with you. Many people, I believe some forum members, have made this mistake. DO YOUR RESEARCH. It's not very romantic, but it will save your ass down the line.[/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue'']My experience was completely different...the embassy denied my husband visa when we were dating, but once we were married, the woman who interviewed him only asked to see a recibo de sueldo and our marriage licence, and he was easily given the tourist visa. The most important thing isn't marital status so much as having proven links to Argentina...a job, property, etc. Although I am not at all denying that this has happened in the past...simply sharing my experience, which was the complete opposite. [/font]

[font=Helvetica Neue']One more VERY IMPORTANT thing. Does your SO have a tourist visa to the U.S. yet? If not, strongly consider getting one before marriage. Once they are married to a USC, foreigners are almost never approved, and without one, your spouse will not be able to travel to the U.S. at all until the spouse visa is approved. This can take a very long time. Or, if you change your mind and decide to stay in Argentina, your spouse might never be approved for a tourist visa, which means they can never make visits with you. Many people, I believe some forum members, have made this mistake. DO YOUR RESEARCH. It's not very romantic, but it will save your ass down the line. [/font]

[font=Helvetica Neue']My experience was completely different...the embassy denied my husband visa when we were dating, but once we were married, the woman who interviewed him only asked to see a recibo de sueldo and our marriage licence, and he was easily given the tourist visa. The most important thing isn't marital status so much as having proven links to Argentina...a job, property, etc. I am not at all denying that this has happened in the past...simply sharing my experience, which was the complete opposite. [/font]

My wife got her immigrant permission pretty easily in 1981. The one thing that worried her was having to go to the Policía Federal for a certificado de buena conducta, as her brother's first wife had disappeared in 1976 (remains finally found a couple years ago).

Can someone explain the process I need to start everything? I am married to an Argentine. We have been married for about 9 months now an dI have just been leaving every 3 months for work. I have both US and Italian Passports with me. Where do I begin? Do I need to have copies of any documents from back home, like Birth certificates, etc.?

Thanks!

In Spanish: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?nomercosur_permanente
http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?residencias

Once you have all the documents assembled, you have to schedule an appointment with migraciones. If the requested documents are in order, you will be approved and will have the DNI within a few months. In the meantime, Migraciones will give you a temporary ID number which will allow you to work and stay in the country legally.
It was pretty smooth for me...The first time I went, I had criminal records from my home state, when you have to show the FBI's records. But once I had those, my second appointment lasted all of two minutes and I was approved. Get your residency here, it really isn't that difficult at all.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]can someone explain the steps to getting the [/background][background=yellow]FBI[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] report?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Here is my situation:[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I am married to an Argentine, I have been living here for 3 years without ever having blown my stay. I usually have had to leave every 3 months for a work trip to the states. Other times I had done the Uruguay run to get another 3 months. I also use my Italian passport at times so that all the stamps are not in the same passport. I have never had any trouble.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I am looking to get residency now, and I am trying to figure out what documents I need.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I assume I will need:[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]FBI Report[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Birth certificate[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]US Passport[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Marriage certificate (from here so thats easy)[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]My wife's DNI (or just drag her along with me)[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Am I forgetting anything? [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I would appreciate the advice of anyone who has already gone through this before. Thanks in advance![/background]

Regarding immigrating to the US with your Argie spouse, start the process about a year out from the time when you plan to move to the US. If you do not plan on moving to the US then there is no process to start - your spouse will not become a US citizen unless you are permanently moving to the US. This is often misunderstood. Tourist visas depend on the individual cases. There are good arguments for and against giving visas to spouses of foreigners. The point is whether someone intends to use the visa correctly or not, and whether or not the consul hearing your case is convinced. Argentine and US immigration do not really recognize your "other" nationality, therefore, you are required to enter on your passport from your birth country. That said, often they do not check the passport, and other times they do not care. THAT SAID, I personally know of two people, born in Argentina, lived in the US for 30 years or so, both of whom were told to get Argentine passports renewed while visiting in order to depart with them. One was prevented from leaving until she renewed at Ezeiza - she hadn't had an Argie ppt in 20 years. US immigration will almost certainly harass you on the way in if you enter with a foreign passport.

Regarding the servicio obligatorio of the individual who was born in Argentina of diplomatic parents, similar to in the US since he had immunity thru his parents and was not "subject to the laws" of Argentina, he was not obligated to meet those demands. Normally he would not receive citizenship either, but I have heard of that actually happening here when it is specifically requested. In the US they would not / do not receive citizenship etc.

Back