US congressman assaults student

in jail for slapping around a little punk? I've seen much worst slapping around outside of bars here and there nobody ever thinks of arresting anybody... no prison overcrowding problems here either...

Why was the kid a punk? The congressman is a CONGRESSMAN, not some low life rolling out of a bar -- but then he acted like a low life. What he did WAS an assault. Or has the US turned into a police state in which politicians can literally beat up citizens who ask questions they don't like?

Sergio, that was not "a simple question" - looks more like a well rehearsed set-up to me. Otherwise, why would the young man refuse to give his name? Why have a cameraman filming the whole scene?

This in no way excuses the congressman's behavior - he should simply have refused to answer any questions until those young men properly identified themselves. Or he could have said "No comment" - nothing beats stonewalling to get people to mind their own business.

Sara, I agree that they should have stated their names however, as you say, the congressman's response - a physical assault - was in NO WAY justified. I have no idea if it was a set up but it really doesn't make any difference. The congressman revealed his character. The young men were polite, even calling him 'sir'. Their question was perfectly reasonable and they have a right to ask it -- it's not a question of minding your own business. The congressman is an elected official. His business, in this case where he stands on political matters, is the nation's business. It's very common for reporters or even regular citizens to stop politicians on the street and ask questions. What we see on the video looks like what you'd expect in a police state.

sergio said:
What we see on the video looks like what you'd expect in a police state.

i have to 100% agree with you here. the US has turned into a zero tolerance police state where those at the top would seek to demonize and character assassinate anyone who dares to hold a dissenting opinion.

it's interesting to see how this incident has been spun. many democrats talk about it being a set up or being rehearsed. but in reality, you said it - who cares what it was, it was inappropriate behavior. it was clearly an assault. you cannot grab somebody by the neck in the manner which he did. the man looked as if he were possessed.

now, if this had been somebody like a Rand Paul or Ron Paul, you'd better believe the press would be all over those guys crucifying them to no end. they would be hounded. there would be calls for their resignation.

Back