US federal apostille

jenndean

Registered
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience getting a document apostilled through the US Dept. of State? I sent my FBI background check (with the pre-apostille seal and signature) to the address in the link below over a month ago, but their stated turnaround time is just 10 days. No phone number gets me in touch with anything but a recording, I've tried emailing and faxing for the status with no avail.

http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/index.htm

I'm trying not to panic that I sent it to the wrong office, after having waited 6 months for the document from the FBI. I can't believe I got the same document in Argentina in 2 days.

A word of wisdom to future visa applicants: Send multiple fingerprint copies and request multiple FBI reports, just in case!

Are you sure you even needed your FBI report apostilled? When I applied for permanent residency here three years ago, it was the one US-issued document that did NOT need an apostille.

Anything can change at any time at migraciones. Much has changed in three years. The Apostille for the FBI report is now mandatory. In the past week someone posted that the birth certificate is no longer required.

So I think I totally had a mental lapse before I came here and instead of getting the FBI report, I only got one from the NYPD. Any idea if I can get away with using that instead? and is it possible for me to get the FBI report from BsAs?

jreznyc said:
So I think I totally had a mental lapse before I came here and instead of getting the FBI report, I only got one from the NYPD. Any idea if I can get away with using that instead? and is it possible for me to get the FBI report from BsAs?

Yes, you can send for it wirth fingerprints taken at a local police station (comiseria). Use the official form if possibble. I think you can get them at the US Consulate/Embassy. You may be able to download the form as well (using the best paper possible). Have several sets made and send them all.

I just went through this process two months ago. Migraciones explained to me that I must have an FBI check (from the FBI only) and that it must be apostilled. It did take some time to get the report from the FBI, but the apostille happened fairly quickly and without problems. I wish I had a number for you to call jenndean, but I don't have anything. I really feel for you because I feared that I wouldn't see that FBI document again too. I did have send a paid fed ex envelope so it would get to me quickly in Argentina. Are they sending yours regular and if so maybe that's the holdup.

Just wanted to update for anyone interested: after almost 3 months, my mom finally received the apostille on my FBI report which had been sent to the State Department by First Class mail. Now I still have to wait another week to 10 days, fingers crossed, for it to arrive in Argentina and then have it translated.

So anyone starting their residency process: ALWAY use Express & registered mail services and STILL plan for at least 4-6 months waiting time for the FBI report.

Back