US health care; saga of a sick expat

steveinbsas said:
This truly is one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum. I remember (and miss) David Bloom, the NBC correspondent who died as a result of this condition. This kind of advice could have prevented his untimely death. Remembering that, I now get out of my seat and walk "about" several times when flying from BA to the USA and /or Paris. I hope others follow your advice and do the same. Thank you, Dudester.

DVT, the last time I traveled my legs felt sore for several days and I was worried it could be it, the prevention is relatively easy ( walk around, wear compression tights - or leggings - ) If your doctors suspect this, the insurance or the airline must cover you and you tickets, etc. Remember that this can show months after you travel by plane. Do not underestimate it. And you might even get lucky and get a free business class or first class upgrade from your airline :)

I think it would be hard to convince the airline that they have any responsibility. Anyway I am getting better. Was able to take a walk today. I have to be careful not to apply pressure to the sensitive leg. Sleeping is not easy - hard to find a comfortable position.

sergio said:
I think it would be hard to convince the airline that they have any responsibility. Anyway I am getting better. Was able to take a walk today. I have to be careful not to apply pressure to the sensitive leg. Sleeping is not easy - hard to find a comfortable position.
What I said really is not just about getting a free upgrade: if you are in pain still when you have to return, it might not be a bad idea to go once again to the ER, and get the doctor to write a note or something you can present at the airline if they suspect dvt, you should travel back more comfortable and should be able to move around more. Take care!

I hope, Sergio, that you've recovered. If you've improved enough and still have confidence in your medical insurer, might you be so kind as to tell us who the carrier is?

Back