US Moving to Argentina

Sam Bartolo

Registered
Hello

Im US Citizen to retire in BA mid 2023.

Ill be Marrying an Argentine Citizen.

I have many Questions.

Ill be coming to Argentina in March for 10 days. To get a feel for the country its not much time, Ive lived in Spain for 2 years spent some time in Italy , and very comfortable in both countries. Not fluent in Spanish but no trouble getting things done. She'll be there to help with the big stuff.
Thats a quick me.

1/. I know we marry and ill have residency through marriage, do I need a visa after marriage. Family reunification Visa fact or fiction nget many variations to question.

2/ My stuff.... ill have about 6 pieces of luggage, with that I want to bring in my camera gear, including two Monitors that will fit in my luggage, is this doable or do I need a form from Miami Consolut?

3/. I want to purchase a house, I hear many versions on how to do this. I heard a realtor can help with the process to bring the US $ in.

As much research over the past few months I still feel lost on system.

If any help it would be appreciated.

If anyone has gone through this process, ill take advice! and have a few more questions.

Thank you

Sam

1/. I know we marry and ill have residency through marriage, do I need a visa after marriage. Family reunification Visa fact or fiction nget many variations to question.

You will be able to apply for permanent residency as soon as you are married. and you should have your DNI within a couple months.

The "Family Reunification Visa" will not apply in your situation.

You will also be eligible for citizenship based on being married to an Argentine and you "should" wait untiil you have your DNI before starting that process as it will most likely be "easier" to start the citizenship process after you have your DNI.

You will not need to have been living in Argentina for two years to be eligible for citizenship, but the process could take as long as a year.

2/ My stuff.... ill have about 6 pieces of luggage, with that I want to bring in my camera gear, including two Monitors that will fit in my luggage, is this doable or do I need a form from Miami Consolut?

If you are entering as a tourist you can bring as much "stuff" as you can convince the aduana that you need to have with you as a tourist.

Telling them you are going to get married won't make any difference.

Just don't make it look like you are "moving" to Argentina with only a tourist permit, as you could be rejected for entry.

If you have a safe place to store your stuff here after you return to ,iami in March, I suggest that you split the luggage into three bags in two separtae trips.

I know from experience that finding a taxi or a remis at the airport that can transport five suitcases and a carry-on can be a challange.

3/. I want to purchase a house... I heard a realtor can help with the process to bring the US $ in.

As a geneal rule, I would not rely on the advice of Argentine realators to accomplish this.

There are several threads on the subject in this forum in which you can read more about bring the funds to bring USD into the country.

Here's a recent one that I found using the key words "getting dollars into Arrgentina" in a search of the forum:

PS: I (and many others) will be happy to answer additonal questions and I always welcome additional information and/or corrections to anything I post.

Last edited:
You will be able to apply for permanent residency as soon as you are married. and you should have your DNI within a couple months.

You will also be eligible for citizenship based on being married to an Argentine and you "should" wait untiil you have your DNI before starting that process as it will most likely be "easier" to start the citizenship process after you have your DNI.

You will not need to have been living in Argentina for two years to be eligible for citizenship, but the process could take as long as a year.

If you are entering as a tourist you can bring as much "stuff" as you can convince the aduana that you need to have with you as a tourist.

Just don't make it look like you are "moving" to Argentina with only a tourist permit, as you could be rejected for entry.

If you have a safe place to store your stuff here after you return to ,iami in March, I suggest that you split the luggage into three bags in two separtae trips.

I know from experience that finding a taxi or a remis at the airport that can transport five suitcases and a carry-on can be a challange.

As a geneal rule, I would not rely on the advice of Argentine realators to accomplish this.

There are several threads on the subject in this forum in which you can read more about bring the funds to bring USD into the country.

Here's a recent one that I found using the key words "getting dollars into Arrgentina" in a search of the forum:

PS: I (and many others) will be happy to answer additonal questions and I always welcome additional information and/or corrections to anything I post.
I moved here with ten 50 pound duffle bags. With a tourist visa. I wasn't questioned at customs. I had a big car arranged ahead of time to transport me into the city.
When I bought my apartment, I did it with a bank to bank transfer. The immobilaria, the escribano and the woman who helped me through the process were paid in cash.

I moved here with ten 50 pound duffle bags. With a tourist visa. I wasn't questioned at customs.

We both got lucky with the aduna. In May of 2006 my bags were screened and,. after seeing "a lot of metal" in the x'ray, one customs official was about to check them, but when she saw that I was already experiencing my first "shakedown" in Argentina by the airport vet, she let me alone to deal with him.

I had a lot of "stuff" that a tourist would not bring with them for a 90 day visit, including three bronze sculptures by Tom Bennett, two Nikon photomic camera bodies, at least six Nikor lenses, and three new Alessi stainless steel stove-top coffee makers (small, meduium, and large).

I was very happy to only have to pay a $100USD "special fee" to the vet and not have the contents of my bags examined.

Not everyone is a lucky as Aztangogirl and I were.

As Lunar posted on June 8 of this year:

"Let me tell you a story. A friend of mine, who is an Argentine citizen, once invited his parents from a country, for which a visa "is not required". And they had planned to stay here for a long time and brought a lot of stuff, including frying pans, etc. The idea was to enter as tourists and after that apply for a resident visa. They were rejected at the border by the immigration, and returned back home on the same plane."

Last edited:
Oh, Sam, I salute your courage!
In the immortal words of Kurt Vonnegut Jr, welcome to the monkey house.
SMH

I have entered Argentina many times, probably at least 2 dozen, over the years, with 4 or more bags. If entering on a US passport, no problems with customs, and I have never had issues with cabs- I have a regular cab I call now, but a normal Logan cab can fit 4 bags in the trunk, and one in the front passenger seat, and more in the back.

We both got lucky with the aduna. In May of 2006 my bags were screened and,. after seeing "a lot of metal" in the x'ray, one customs official was about to check them, but when she saw that I was already experiencing my first "shakedown" in Argentina by the airport vet, she let me alone to deal with him.

I had a lot of "stuff" that a tourist would not bring with them for a 90 day visit, including three bronze sculptures by Tom Bennett, two Nikon photomic camera bodies, at least six Nikor lenses, and three new Alessi stainless steel stove-top coffee makers (small, meduium, and large).

I was very happy to only have to pay a $100USD "special fee" to the vet and not have the contents of my bags examined.

Not everyone is a lucky as Aztangogirl and I were.

As Lunar posted on June 8 of this year:

"Let me tell you a story. A friend of mine, who is an Argentine citizen, once invited his parents from a country, for which a visa "is not required". And they had planned to stay here for a long time and brought a lot of stuff, including frying pans, etc. The idea was to enter as tourists and after that apply for a resident visa. They were rejected at the border by the immigration, and returned back home on the same plane."
Thank you apologies for slow response. I was told by a Shipper in Miami to contact Miami Consolute and get a letter so I can bring in my baggage?

Apologies for late thank you I have many questions the two biggest marraige
Hello

Im US Citizen to retire in BA mid 2023.

Ill be Marrying an Argentine Citizen.

I have many Questions.

Ill be coming to Argentina in March for 10 days. To get a feel for the country its not much time, Ive lived in Spain for 2 years spent some time in Italy , and very comfortable in both countries. Not fluent in Spanish but no trouble getting things done. She'll be there to help with the big stuff.
Thats a quick me.

3/. I want to purchase a house, I hear many versions on how to do this. I heard a realtor can help with the process to bring the US $ in.

As much research over the past few months I still feel lost on system.

If any help it would be appreciated.

If anyone has gone through this process, ill take advice! and have a few more questions.

Thank you

Sam
Apologies for late reply, Thank you! For Help I Have a few more questions Ill repost

Back