US Phone Number to use here

Yes, and it's not T-mobile it's Ultra mobile....just awful and doesn't work! Click on the link inside that page and you get UltraMobile!
is it ultramobile? or none? I hate to bother folks in the US for these "administrative" stuff....

I too have had a Skype 'in' number for years. The problem is that instituions (banks in the U.S.) will not connect to VOIP numbers. And sometime back I was looking for a connection with (I think it was with Cap360) and they listed the only carriers that they recognized for service and the list did not have some U.S. phone companies that were 'name' companies.

Hi Y'all
I need a US phone or maybe help figuring something out. I have had my US Skype number forwarded to places where I travel for over 14 years (yikes!!). However, I have a hard time using my paypal, etc with that phone even though I have Express VPN which has been helpful in most cases. Any takes? I do have a US address but no phone there now. I appreciate suggestions.
Google Fi will give you a new sim for free, quickly shipped free to your USA address. Either port in your old number or get a new one for free. Once activated while in the USA, you can pause it at any time. The plan is $20 per month, when not using data. With pausing and resuming you only pay for the hours you have it unpaused. That is 2.8 cents per hour, or 67 cents per day. Pay $0 per month for times you do not use it, though google will unpause automatically every 90 days. This is what I use when in USA, and all other international travel days outside Argentina. Once settled in Argentina I pause except for the day/hour I need some SMS from someone who cannot send to a VOIP.

If you need a USA number to make daily cell phone calls or data from your cell phone during your life in Argentina, then this plan is not price efficient. But for the issue you describe, it is more than ideal.

You do not need to use your cell phone to sms message or pause or unpause. Do from your computer. https://messages.google.com/web/conversations

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337?hl=en

Last edited:
is it ultramobile? or none? I hate to bother folks in the US for these "administrative" stuff....
It is not UltraMobile or anything! There are many plans in the USA, but they will be more expensive for them to work. A warning also...do not get Mint Mobile...it is great in the USA but also doesn't work in other countries with regularity...P.S. it is owned by UltraMobile!

Google Fi will give you a new sim for free, quickly shipped free to your USA address. Either port in your old number or get a new one for free. Once activated while in the USA, you can pause it at any time. The plan is $20 per month, when not using data. With pausing and resuming you only pay for the hours you have it unpaused. That is 2.8 cents per hour, or 67 cents per day. Pay $0 per month for times you do not use it, though google will unpause automatically every 90 days. This is what I use when in USA, and all other international travel days outside Argentina. Once settled in Argentina I pause except for the day/hour I need some SMS from someone who cannot send to a VOIP.

If you need a USA number to make daily cell phone calls or data from your cell phone during your life in Argentina, then this plan is not price efficient. But for the issue you describe, it is more than ideal.

You do not need to use your cell phone to sms message or pause or unpause. Do from your computer. https://messages.google.com/web/conversations

Thanks for the information. Does this work only with physical SIM card, or can it be with an e-SIM also?

Thanks for the information. Does this work only with physical SIM card, or can it be with an e-SIM also?
There are some phones, perhaps only apple at this time, which Fi supports with eSim. Maybe the new Pixel 6 line, including cheaper 6a which was just released. Regardless of the phones supported, eSim must be activated from a tower located in the USA.

Incredibly helpful and thanks for the detailed info

There are some phones, perhaps only apple at this time, which Fi supports with eSim. Maybe the new Pixel 6 line, including cheaper 6a which was just released. Regardless of the phones supported, eSim must be activated from a tower located in the USA.
I got an iphone 13 but it should be 'towered" (connected first) in the US I believe

I got an iphone 13 but it should be 'towered" (connected first) in the US I believe
Yes, that is my understanding. I wanted to try eSim with a Samsung s22 purchased from Google Fi in June. I did not try then, and now in Argentina. First I read that s22, even if eSim compatible, is not supported by Fi. Secondly I read that activation of eSim must be when near a USA tower.

Hi Y'all
I need a US phone or maybe help figuring something out. I have had my US Skype number forwarded to places where I travel for over 14 years (yikes!!). However, I have a hard time using my paypal, etc with that phone even though I have Express VPN which has been helpful in most cases. Any takes? I do have a US address but no phone there now. I appreciate suggestions.
To make a 2nd comment regarding the original post, I also had issues receiving automated verication SMS. Google Voice and Google Fi suddenly not able to receive automated sms from USAA bank. Similar issue with IRS.gov not allowing setup using my reliable TMobile prepaid or GV. USAA was resolved by removing my numbers and adding again. Santander bank the same. I suspect all these numbers get added to some master list somewhere that all the telcos share to block forwarding SMS to bots. I even had a recent issue receiving automated phone calls from a local NY bank to a physical Verizon landline which has yet to be resolved.

Finally, many banks now will allow you to setup automated calls instead of SMS for verification. I have a VOIP line registered as a landline which does receive automated audio calls from Chase bank for verification.

Back