US recipients of SS payments

Well, the daily whinge on this topic. Since receiving notice that the IRS sent the Stimulus check to my 'address on file' which is Argentina have figured two or three weeks given what is said about receiving mail here from outside. But, just in case and 15 days in, went to the local Correo Argentina to see if it was sitting there somewhere. A woman at the front door 'with all the answers' asked for a tracking number (well if I had a tracking number I wouldn't be here, would I?), so No. Well "Aduanas is closed." Me "but it's only an envelope" Aduanas is closed, do you have a tracking number? Me "when will Aduanas re-open?" blank stare.
I never got past the woman with all the answers.
Does Customs really check each letter / envelope that comes into the country? Anyone with ideas when Customs might re-open and release incoming mail?

Your other thread didn't mention that the envelope you are waiting for is from the US government which has a huge amount of mail to process. If you're expecting to receive the stimulus check in the mail in Argentina this month, don't hold your breath. If a miracle happens and the check arrives, where are you going to cash it?

If your social security is directly deposited into a US account, that is the likely destination of the stimulus check. I doubt the government mails any checks to citizens in foreign countries when they have a US bank account for each of us.

Your other thread didn't mention that the envelope you are waiting for is from the US government which has a huge amount of mail to process. If you're expecting to receive the stimulus check in the mail in Argentina this month, don't hold your breath. If a miracle happens and the check arrives, where are you going to cash it?
If your social security is directly deposited into a US account, that is the likely destination of the stimulus check. I doubt the government mails any checks to citizens in foreign countries when they have a US bank account for each of us.
To your question about 'where to cash it', with a US bank account. The US banks have phone apps which allow you to sign into your account, take a picture front and back of the check, and deposit to your US bank account.
Early information from the IRS and news reports suggested that the Stimulus payment would be paid through a Social Security recipient's Direct Deposit account. The IRS did not follow through, contacting Social Security for the bank account information. Instead they sent checks.
There are some wrinkles to this, e.g., if there's a dependent child claim in involved. It's all murky and on top there's no way to contact the IRS. Period, and straighten anything out.
The IRS solution for providing information was that lousy online Get Payment webpage. Finally they provided an answer, that they had mailed a check to my address on file - which is a foreign address.

Well, the daily whinge on this topic. Since receiving notice that the IRS sent the Stimulus check to my 'address on file' which is Argentina have figured two or three weeks given what is said about receiving mail here from outside. But, just in case and 15 days in, went to the local Correo Argentina to see if it was sitting there somewhere. A woman at the front door 'with all the answers' asked for a tracking number (well if I had a tracking number I wouldn't be here, would I?), so No. Well "Aduanas is closed." Me "but it's only an envelope" Aduanas is closed, do you have a tracking number? Me "when will Aduanas re-open?" blank stare.
I never got past the woman with all the answers.
Does Customs really check each letter / envelope that comes into the country? Anyone with ideas when Customs might re-open and release incoming mail?
No mail is being sent by the USPS to Argentina (nor to many other countries). And it could be months more before they begin sending mail again to Argentina.
https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm

Moreover, when they finally do begin receiving mail here again, the backlog will be so great that it's likely to be many months before you see anything, if they don't lose it (or steal it or throw it away).

You're lucky. At least you got the Get My Payment tool to work and you know the status of your payment (although it's not a particularly good status).

I'm in the group who has not received a payment (which should have been received in the US bank where my direct deposit goes) and is unable to get any status.

No mail is being sent by the USPS to Argentina (nor to many other countries). And it could be months more before they begin sending mail again to Argentina.
https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm
Moreover, when they finally do begin receiving mail here again, the backlog will be so great that it's likely to be many months before you see anything, if they don't lose it (or steal it or throw it away).
You're lucky. At least you got the Get My Payment tool to work and you know the status of your payment (although it's not a particularly good status).
I'm in the group who has not received a payment (which should have been received in the US bank where my direct deposit goes) and is unable to get any status.
Well done, finding this "nugget". The mind reels. I did notice the USPS post was updated 14 May, so maybe some envelopes made it out to Argentina earlier in May? But if not, then the following would apply and the IRS should/could have the envelope back all ready. And no doubt they're working hard to get my direct deposit information from Social Security (jajaja). Like they indicated they would do at the start.
For already deposited items, other than GXG:Postal Service employees endorse them “Mail Service Suspended — Return to Sender” and then place them in the mail stream for return.
Further to that there's a link with information from each foreign country. Where, on the part of Argentina, they've said back in April that should they receive mail: "there will be no required signatures on delivery. Instead, the postal employee will ask the addressee for an ID and note the number in the signature field. These circumstances will affect quality of service for all categories of inbound and outbound mail".
And reading this morning's dispiriting news in the US, the sky is falling, government run by lunatic twitter dictator and the country preparing to breech all common sense because they're bored. Uff!
One note on getting the IRS website to work - try using spaces in your SS # like this xxx-xx-xxxx and in the address field where indicating an apartment number, before the apartment number use an #, e.g. #10 B.

One note on getting the IRS website to work - try using spaces in your SS # like this xxx-xx-xxxx and in the address field where indicating an apartment number, before the apartment number use an #, e.g. #10 B.

Thanks but where specifically, link, in the page Getmypaymnet does one Enter the SS number and Address. For SS retired beneficiaries, Have not yet entered the data?

This is the entry page of Get My Payment: https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/notice;jsessionid=TMDPiy8gmYXmUVfd8I9d3AKP.f2
Click on OK to go to....the data entry page the first line is for Social Security number, next line is date of birth, next line is street address, last line is zip code.
After entering that information and clicking to submit you will get a message that informs you.
No idea what you're referring to with "For SS retired beneficiaries.....".

Well done, finding this "nugget". The mind reels. I did notice the USPS post was updated 14 May, so maybe some envelopes made it out to Argentina earlier in May?
Excellent find, AmigoArtistico. The USPS website posted by him shows Argentina to be in the category: Suspension Due to Unavailability of Transportation...updated May 14, 2020
Could that mean that flights from the US that normally bring mail have not been able to provide the service because EZE has been closed to commercial flights since ______(cannot remember date) ?

Excellent find, AmigoArtistico. The USPS website posted by him shows Argentina to be in the category: Suspension Due to Unavailability of Transportation...updated May 14, 2020
Could that mean that flights from the US that normally bring mail have not been able to provide the service because EZE has been closed to commercial flights since ______(cannot remember date) ?
But DHL continues to deliver mail from the states. I would guess Fedex as well, though I don't know that for a fact.

Back