US recipients of SS payments

Excellent find, AmigoArtistico. The USPS website posted by him shows Argentina to be in the category: Suspension Due to Unavailability of Transportation...updated May 14, 2020
Could that mean that flights from the US that normally bring mail have not been able to provide the service because EZE has been closed to commercial flights since ______(cannot remember date) ?
Rather ominously, I found this statement in the U.S Postal Service link Gracielle provided and could answer her question about Suspension Due to Unavailability of Transportation :
"There are probably thousands of cargo containers with mail spread all over the world sitting at airport facilities and transit stations waiting to be processed to their next destination.
It will likely take weeks (or months…?) for some mail pieces to move again once these operations resume and cargo capacity becomes available to continue the transit of the cargo containers."

Regards Stimulus payments issued by check mailed to foreign addresses, it's not clear when the USPS might of started returning them to sender (the IRS). Their post on the subject was 14 May.
I was able to get through to the IRS today 18 May, first day they are back, and was advised that if the check is returned to the IRS by USPS it goes into a weeks or longer limbo before they try to sort out what to do with it. I was able to change my address with the IRS however, to a US address, over the phone. So it would/could/should go there. Or if there are more stimulus payments issued. It was not possible to give direct deposit information to them and change them to that method. The IRS phone number for "Overseas taxpayers" is 267-941-1000. A live IRS attendant. They now also have a live operator, more of an intermediary vendor service, for help with "Stimulus check wrong amount or never received" at 800-919-9835.

Email received today from American Citizens Services re frequently asked questions during COVID-19

I am in Argentina and need assistance with my Social Security Check

· Please send an email to [email protected] as we continue to provide service/assistance during this time. If you prefer to speak to someone over the telephone, please contact the U.S. national 800 number, at 1-800-772-1213, available Monday – Fridays from 7am-7pm.

I have not received my paper Social Security check at home

· There have been disruptions in Postal Service delivery in Argentina, including delays and non-delivery. In order to avoid further disruptions in your payments, we urge you to sign up for direct deposit now. For information on all direct deposit options available in Argentina, please email to [email protected]

Economic Impact Payments (CARE Stimulus Payments)

· While the U.S. government has begun processing economic impact payments for qualified recipients, the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires will not receive or administer any of these funds on behalf of U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. If you believe you are eligible to receive an economic impact payment, you should visit the IRS Coronavirus page at www.irs.gov and coronavirus tax relief and economic impact payments.

Mail Services in Argentina

· There have been disruptions in Postal Service delivery in Argentina, including delays and non-delivery. International mail service has been severely disrupted. FEDEX and DHL still have limited operations for international service, though the price will likely be higher than normal.

Spoke today with Mr Libby at the IRS (Overseas Taxpayers desk)- phone 267-941-1000 . I explained that I'm a recipient of the SS retirement payment at my USA bank . and asked what should I do to receive the Stimulus Check..? He indicated that the IRS is in touch with the SSA and the check will be sent via the SS same channels as usual. He added check your bank account balance?? Was Mr. Libby misinformed? He reiterated ·"You need to do nothing". It may take a while..!

Also Called IRS Stimulus Check info 800 919 9835 I was directed through a menu to a recording that stated the SSA Retirement Recipients need no further action to receive the check.. IRS has a recording instructive that is obsolete or not updated..??

The waiting time for a live person online may be 30 minutes

Spoke today with Mr Libby at the IRS (Overseas Taxpayers desk)- phone 267-941-1000 . I explained that I'm a recipient of the SS retirement payment at my USA bank . and asked what should I do to receive the Stimulus Check..? He indicated that the IRS is in touch with the SSA and the check will be sent via the SS same channels as usual. He added check your bank account balance?? Was Mr. Libby misinformed? He reiterated ·"You need to do nothing". It may take a while..!
Also Called IRS Stimulus Check info 800 919 9835 I was directed through a menu to a recording that stated the SSA Retirement Recipients need no further action to receive the check.. IRS has a recording instructive that is obsolete or not updated..??
The waiting time for a live person online may be 30 minutes
"There are eight million stories in the naked city; this has been one of them"
The last agent at the IRS (Overseas Taxpayers desk) I spoke with said, about re-opening the IRS phone lines, "they handed us a broken broom and told us to clean up the mess".
"You need to do nothing" likely about = to "There's nothing you can do"

"There are eight million stories in the naked city; this has been one of them"
The last agent at the IRS (Overseas Taxpayers desk) I spoke with said, about re-opening the IRS phone lines, "they handed us a broken broom and told us to clean up the mess".
"You need to do nothing" likely about = to "There's nothing you can do"

Well both suggestions yours and the IRS rep amount to the same thing ..Do Nothing. I can live with that..!

More glad tidings from the IRS (snark!) on Stimulus checks mailed to addresses out of the country. After checking with the IRS (Overseas Taxpayers desk) at phone 267-941-1000. At least 1/2 hour waiting in the caller queue, this....
The USPS is returning mail to sender for a large number of foreign addresses. Argentina is one of those countries.
For checks that the IRS has reported to of been mailed out, after 9 weeks time from the IRS mail date a Stimulus Check recipient can call in and request a mail trace. The IRS will initiate a mail trace, which can then take up to 6 weeks to complete the trace and notify.

More glad tidings from the IRS (snark!) on Stimulus checks mailed to addresses out of the country. After checking with the IRS (Overseas Taxpayers desk) at phone 267-941-1000. At least 1/2 hour waiting in the caller queue, this....
The USPS is returning mail to sender for a large number of foreign addresses. Argentina is one of those countries.
For checks that the IRS has reported to of been mailed out, after 9 weeks time from the IRS mail date a Stimulus Check recipient can call in and request a mail trace. The IRS will initiate a mail trace, which can then take up to 6 weeks to complete the trace and notify.
Waiting time to receive the check = 9 weeks from original mailing by the IRS + 6 weeks to complete the trace by the postal service.

By then USPS might have already arranged maritime mail delivery to ARG.
Article updated May 29, 2020
....USPS Shifting Mail From Air Cargo to Sea Transport (5/16/2020).....

So additional weeks of waiting time go by. Alice down the rabbit hole!

Waiting time to receive the check = 9 weeks from original mailing by the IRS + 6 weeks to complete the trace by the postal service.
By then USPS might have already arranged maritime mail delivery to ARG.
Article updated May 29, 2020
....USPS Shifting Mail From Air Cargo to Sea Transport (5/16/2020).....
So additional weeks of waiting time go by. Alice down the rabbit hole!
Unfortunately it's not even that.
The IRS and the USPS know that mail to foreign addresses is being returned to the sender. But the IRS's rule is they have to wait 9 weeks from the original mail date to initiate a mail trace. That only means they will start looking for your mail. Once they initiate the mail trace for that piece of mail the IRS agent said it can take up to 6 weeks before the mail trace is completed. Presumably they find your mail. Then, assuming they find it, what do they do with it? The agent said they cannot take direct deposit checking account information over the phone.
The situation continues to change with them. I plan to call again around the 9 week mark and try to find out more.

Mailed Check Payments May Be Sent As Debit Cards
If the Get My Payment application says you’re receiving a check, your Payment may come as a debit card. Debit card Payments come in a plain envelope from “Money Network Cardholder Services."

For more information, see Prepaid Debit Cards (added May 14, 2020).....Q48 - 53

Back