US recipients of SS payments

The US Stimulus check has arrived!! A week or 10 days ago I spoke with an IRS agent (wait time on phone over 60 minutes) who checked my file and found the piece of mail that was sent to Argentina address had been returned to the IRS, and the IRS would one way or the other make payment to my bank account information now on file or to the updated US address that I had made. 2 months plus had passed since the IRS Get Payment site advised the check had been mailed. And, just for added inflammation, my US mailbox service which is usually very punctual at notifying new mail has arrived had let it and other mail sit there for 10 days! without notification. Next step, get the check scanned and then see if my US bank will accept the deposit by uploaded scanned image. 'What a long strange trip it's been'

The US Stimulus check has arrived!! A week or 10 days ago I spoke with an IRS agent (wait time on phone over 60 minutes) who checked my file and found the piece of mail that was sent to Argentina address had been returned to the IRS, and the IRS would one way or the other make payment to my bank account information now on file or to the updated US address that I had made. 2 months plus had passed since the IRS Get Payment site advised the check had been mailed. And, just for added inflammation, my US mailbox service which is usually very punctual at notifying new mail has arrived had let it and other mail sit there for 10 days! without notification. Next step, get the check scanned and then see if my US bank will accept the deposit by uploaded scanned image. 'What a long strange trip it's been'
Ask you US mail service to mail the check to your bank branch, including a note as to which account it should be deposited to. I did that with mine and it worked flawlessly.

Ask you US mail service to mail the check to your bank branch, including a note as to which account it should be deposited to. I did that with mine and it worked flawlessly.
Yes, that has worked well in the past, thanks. I took a crack at getting scanned images from the US mail service downloaded to my computer, then signing onto Citibank's mobile app, taking pictures of the back and front and uploading to Citibank. It got a little more complicated getting my signature onto the check back image, but finessed it in the end. Citibank accepted, and it's now showing pending in the account, final approval tomorrow. Vamos a ver!

If this is what you want to do, why not just give SSA your bank aba and account number. You get the money next day. :)

If this is what you want to do, why not just give SSA your bank aba and account number. You get the money next day. :)
SSA has my account info and deposits are made monthly. Since I don't owe taxes nor get a refund, the IRS doesn't have that same data so a check was mailed. SSA only shared data if a refund was due.Trying to enter your account info on the IRS site doesn't work. Luckily I wasn't in any hurry to get that stimulus check.

Just wanted to share our experience. I called the IRS yesterday and had to wait only between five and ten minutes. A super nice young man assisted me. Our first checks were mailed on May 5 to Argentina, were returned to the IRS, reissued and mailed again to Argentina the first part of July. What's strange is that in early May my wife submitted a non filers return just so we could get our bank info to the IRS (we file every year but she hadn't filed yet this year). So they had our bank info before the checks were reissued and sent again to Argentina in July. The representative also could not explain why the reissued checks were mailed this month to Argentina, given that the USPS has Argentina listed as one of the countries that is still not receiving mail. Thanks to Artisan's post about changing his address to one in the US, I changed our address to my mother's in the US. The representative told me that when the reissued checks are returned, those checks may or may not be direct deposited. At least they now have a US address to mail them to, if the direct deposit option doesn't kick in. It takes about nine weeks for checks to be mailed here, returned and reissued.

If only the IRS and SSA shared information.

Personally, I don't want a US Treasury check mailed to Argentina only to send it back for deposit which is impossible.

If only the IRS and SSA shared information.

Personally, I don't want a US Treasury check mailed to Argentina only to send it back for deposit which is impossible.
Many banks allow a virtual deposit via their app. That's what I did with my check that I received here.

Here is a reliable US company, I recommend: https://physicaladdress.com
Have used now for over a year. Cheap, with quality full service. Get yourself a US mailing address.
(after leaving Earth Class Mail which over charged me for years)
Virtual Address & Virtual Mailbox Service
Business or Personal Mailing Address Low as $7.98 a Month
Read High Quality Scans of Your Business or Personal Postal Mail Online
Manage Your Virtual Mailbox & Virtual Address From Anywhere

- You can have them open and scan all your mail and view your mall online. Then keep it, discard original but keep a copy, trash it all together.
* You can download copies of your mail's content to your computer. In the case of a check, e.g., Stim check, you can manage those downloaded check copies on your computer/cell phone and then upload them directly to your online bank account (using the bank's mobile app).
* You can forward your mail onward to yourself or another address (using US Postal Service,, UPS, Fedex, etcetera)
* In the case of a check you can also have them mail forward the check directly to your bank branch for deposit to your account, adding a simple note to the shipment, with Bank name, account name and "deposit to account #xxxxxxxxx"

Back