US Tourist - which exchange rate for credit cards?

Stevied

Registered
Quick question. My wife and I are traveling to Argentina in late December to visit family. While we do plan on bringing dollars to exchange at a cueva, there will be times where it is more convenient for me to use my Visa card - that said, I don’t want to get too screwed on the exchange rate. Does anyone know if US credit cards just use the official rate, or use one of the other rates? Infobae publishes multiple rates, including Banco Nación, Libre, Turista, con Liqui , MEP….its all a bit confusing.

Does anyone know if US credit cards just use the official rate, or use one of the other rates?
It all explained in this other thread. At the moment it is probably best to use the Visa or Mastercard credit card for most purchases as a tourist. Many little details explained better in that thread. Though it could all change. This CC advantage for foreign tourists has only existed for this past year

It all explained in this other thread. At the moment it is probably best to use the Visa or Mastercard credit card for most purchases as a tourist. Many little details explained better in that thread. Though it could all change. This CC advantage for foreign tourists has only existed for this past year

Thanks so much - very helpful. It’s been 2 years since I’ve been back to Argentina, but this is a game changer for me on this trip - will limit how much cash I need to carry around and exchange!

will limit how much cash I need to carry around and exchange!

At the moment it is probably best to use the Visa or Mastercard credit card for most purchases as a tourist
That said, you should still follow along in the other thread about the WU transfer. Until a few weeks WU did have slightly better transfer rate compared to the CC, plus it is a decent way to have cash when not exchanging physical USD. ...and the Crypto exchange are discussed too.

i am checking a few options to book club med in brasil now. i have a price now in ARS which is considerably lower than booking from Europe or the US. However, it says that taxes are not included. When i pay with a European credit card, will these taxes be charged?

Attachments

• Pago - Reservas - Club Med.jpeg
    Pago - Reservas - Club Med.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 5
Back