USA cell phone number to use in Argentina

on the brink

Registered
I need to get a working cell phone number to use to and from Argentina. No idea how to do it. Ideas, please.....!

And if you are not concerned about receiving SMS from banks, Google Voice is free.

If you want an actual cell phone that simply works, use Simple Mobile. They’re an MVNO that run in the US on T-Mobile’s network, but roam seamlessly about just about all of Latin America.

For real US cellular number you can look into MVNO with Wi-Fi calling. If your operator supports Wi-Fi calling then you can make calls/texts anywhere you have Wi-Fi network even if there is no actual roaming in this country.

For instance, my phone number is with Red Pocket, they have plans as low as $99 per year https://www.redpocket.com/plans
They offer true roaming only in Mexico and Canada but with Wi-Fi calling you can use it in Argentina as well.

Referral coupon code to get a discount with Red Pocket is 95CEFDEADF080B81

That said, the cheapest option is indeed VOIP https://voip.ms/en/invite/MTM1MDc2

I have also been using Tello as the second eSim on my phone for a couple years and it works really well. It uses Wifi for the calls and texts while in Argentina. Here in Argentina I use the cheapest $5 plan and when visiting in the US I switch it temporarily to a plan with more data.

Has anyone had any luck with a voip that works well down here off the Wifi? I occasionally need my personal line while traveling. I've had Dialpad, which costs about $35 a month, and it is awful on Wifi or off. Constantly crashes and garbles calls. I use Ringcentral for business and it works pretty well down here, but I really don't want to port my personal cell line into my business account.

Has anyone had any luck with a voip that works well down here off the Wifi? I occasionally need my personal line while traveling. I've had Dialpad, which costs about $35 a month, and it is awful on Wifi or off. Constantly crashes and garbles calls. I use Ringcentral for business and it works pretty well down here, but I really don't want to port my personal cell line into my business account.
I use Google Voice's service for my personal phone number, and it works really well here off my Wifi. There are also VoIP adapters for Google Voice that connect to a regular corded phone, but I have never tried them. I just use an old cell phone with the Google Voice app installed as my "home phone" with US number.

I have voip.ms, for 85 cents per month plus 1 cent per minute, using an open-source softphone app called Linphone and generally have pretty good call quality when i need to answer it over wifi on the smartphone. I mostly take calls on a physical telephone but when traveling or out and about and need to take the call I have had decent call quality for even somewhat lengthy calls. I've had it for a few years and minus during the brief cyber-attack outage they unfortunately endured a couple years ago, I've not had any issues.

I use Google Voice's service for my personal phone number, and it works really well here off my Wifi. There are also VoIP adapters for Google Voice that connect to a regular corded phone, but I have never tried them. I just use an old cell phone with the Google Voice app installed as my "home phone" with US number.
The Obitalk portal has been closed for registering new Obihai and Polycom voip adapters as of last December, officially eliminating the option for new users to connect their google voice to a regular corded phone--which is a shame because it does work very well until the day it will not work at all.

Last edited:
Back