Getting a non-VOIP US phone number from Tello for 2FA

lunar

Registered
Recently, I needed to sign up for a service that wouldn't accept my Google Voice number, claiming it to be a VOIP number (fairly), so I obtained an additional phone line through Tello Mobile. I'm sharing my experience here, hoping it might benefit others in similar situations. Apologies for the lengthy post; I am trying to describe the procedure in detail.

Tello Mobile offers a $5 per month plan that can be activated remotely, meaning you don't have to be in the US to activate the phone line, provided your phone supports eSIM. It uses the T-Mobile network and provides a real mobile phone number for SMS verification.

They don't offer roaming, but they do provide a Wi-Fi calling feature. If your phone is connected to Wi-Fi, it functions as a local US phone. This means you're using your regular minutes, and people can call you and send SMS to your US number.

Tello has a configurator on their website, and I opted for the 100 minutes + 1 GB plan for $6, just in case (it can be changed later). With taxes, it came to $6.13 per month. I chose eSIM, rather than physical SIM delivery, as an option. I also checked the 'Email me 48 hours before charging me' checkbox.

After payment, it said. Order status: Successful. Enjoy your eSim.

I went to the 'My Tello' account, then to the 'My SIM' section. There, I found a QR code, which I scanned with my camera, and a new 'eSIM2' record appeared in the 'Sim manager' under the 'eSIMs' section (I already have 'eSIM1' with a different company). I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 phone that I bought locally.

You need to set up your E911 address, which is found in the 'Wi-Fi Calling' section of your Tello account settings. Also, make sure to turn on Wi-Fi calling on your phone. On my phone, it's located under 'Connections' -> 'Wi-Fi Calling'.

I have the 'Network Cell Info' application that shows the network connection status for SIM cards. About 10 minutes later, the connection for eSIM2 was activated, and it now displays 'IWLAN T-Mobile Wi-Fi'

As a result, I can now make and receive calls and SMS messages. I called my friend in the US, and everything seems to be OK. I also tested sending and receiving SMS messages.

On FreeCarrierLookup site

This number appears like this:
Carrier: T-Mobile US-SVR-10X/2
Is Wireless: y

My Google Voice number says
Is Wireless: n

From what I understand, you can renew your plan manually before it expires, and then your minutes and gigabytes are rolled over. I haven't tried it myself yet.

I hope this could resolve the issues of people who need a real US number for SMS verification. I know that Google Voice works for some, but it ultimately depends on the banks, and some of them are especially strict.

If you decide to sign up and use this link, you will receive a $10 credit to your account balance.

Last edited:
Thanks for telling us your experience with Tello. Do you know if you can port your current number to this provider?
As I have disseminated it among many people I know, I would like to keep it, when switching to a service like Tello.

Do you know if you can port your current number to this provider?
When I signed up, there was a dropdown that said 'New line'. I assume below it there was an option to select 'keep the old number' and fill out a transfer form.

When I signed up, there was a dropdown that said 'New line'. I assume below it there was an option to select 'keep the old number' and fill out a transfer form.
Thanks! I will verify that. I still have Mint, which, although it is fairly cheap, it is now a waste of money to me, especially now that they have changed the "International Wallet" to "Minternational", and now they charge you minimum 10$ per day to roam, rendering roaming for the sporadic 2FA authentication worthless.

@lunar Tello sounds intriguing, I'm interested in checking it out.

I currently use Google Voice as my primary for everything, and it's generally worked fine for 2FA purposes with several different banks and credit card companies. I also keep a backup line open with the TextFree mobile app. The Textfree app is free (with ads) and you keep your phone number as long as you use it once a month. Otherwise, they want you to pay $9.99 USD a month to reserve your number, remove ads, and receive 2FA codes. However, I've had success receiving 2FA codes from my banks using the free version of Textfree. Currently I keep my Google Voice number on file with banks as my mobile number, and TextFree as my home or work number, and between the two of them I've been reliably able to get 2FA codes.

As you mentioned, Google Voice is marked as VoIP when I do a carrier lookup:

Carrier: BANDWIDTH.COM-NSR-10X/1
Is Wireless: n

However, my number with Textfree (free version w/ ads) appears as:

Carrier: Sinch-Onvoy Spectrum-NSR-10X/2
Is Wireless: y

Anyways, all that being said I'm interested in trying Tello because it sounds as if everything is processed through my phone "normally" using my default phone dialer and texting apps, vs. Textfree which requires everything be done inside their app (i.e. the Textfree app always has to be open to make or receive calls and texts). Paying for one of the basic Tello plans sounds worth it to me, as it would eliminate the Textfree problem (no SIM, so everything is in-app only) and also eliminate the Google Voice problem (not a "wireless carrier").

My only concern, which maybe you can either confirm or alleviate, is whether or not I'm able to send MMS using Tello? I often send pictures to family and friends via text, and Google Voice and Textfree both allow me to send MMS over Wi-Fi. However, I stumbled onto this recent Reddit thread about Tello where several Tello users (and a Tello employee/mod) indicated that the only way they could use MMS was to disable Wi-Fi calling and use mobile data only:

If MMS over Wi-Fi is indeed blocked when using Tello, I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pay money and make the switch from my free apps (so long as they continue to work for 2FA purposes). Thanks in advance for any insight.

I use Tello as well, been recommending it here too for the same purpose. Thanks for the great explanatory post.
If MMS over Wi-Fi is indeed blocked when using Tello, I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pay money and make the switch from my free apps (so long as they continue to work for 2FA purposes). Thanks in advance for any insight.
I don't use MMS, but from what I understand, this would only work in specific circumstances. Like when you're are all on iPhones or all are on phones that support the RCS messaging system. Basically when you are not actually using the MMS function. Tello FAQ says MMS over Wifi is not supported: https://tello.com/help_center/how-can-i-use-wi-fi-calling

Otherwise Tello does work through your phone normally indeed, and as long as you have a second Argentinian SIM with mobile data, you can use it when you're not connected to the wifi too. It will connect through your local data.

...and as long as you have a second Argentinian SIM with mobile data, you can use it when you're not connected to the wifi too. It will connect through your local data.
Is it an iPhone-specific feature? It doesn't seem to work for me on Android 13.

Is it an iPhone-specific feature? It doesn't seem to work for me on Android 13.
On a dual SIM iPhone, when there's no wifi but the local data is active, it says "Carrier using Cellular Data" next to Tello.

I'd imagine a feature like this exists on Android too, but maybe it depends on the phone brand? I read that it might be named "Backup calling" if you want to try search the feature in settings.

I'd imagine a feature like this exists on Android too, but maybe it depends on the phone brand? I read that it might be named "Backup calling" if you want to try search the feature in settings.
It appears that 'Backup calling' on Android is available on certain phone models, in specific regions, and may sometimes disappear following an OS upgrade, making the entire situation subject to constant change.

I've heard stories about people carrying a second phone around just to serve as a Wi-Fi hotspot. :)

My only concern, which maybe you can either confirm or alleviate, is whether or not I'm able to send MMS using Tello? I often send pictures to family and friends via text, and Google Voice and Textfree both allow me to send MMS over Wi-Fi.
Sorry, I've never used MMS. Frankly, I don't see the appeal. If your phone is connected to the internet, why would you want to send pictures essentially over SMS? I consider SMS to be an obsolete technology in itself, used mainly for verification purposes these days. For regular messaging, it seems everyone uses WhatsApp or Telegram.

Back