USA cell phone number to use in Argentina

The Obitalk portal has been closed for registering new Obihai and Polycom voip adapters as of last December, officially eliminating the option for new users to connect their google voice to a regular corded phone--which is a shame because it does work very well until the day it will not work at all.
Thanks for the update! I didn't know that. So, I guess with Google Voice, you can now only use the app or a browser?
 
Thanks for the update! I didn't know that. So, I guess with Google Voice, you can now only use the app or a browser?
You're welcome! And, yes, that's about it. You can use a bluetooth-to-landline adapter connected to a cellphone acting as a "server" of sorts, perhaps, or just get another service compatible with an IP phone and forward google voice calls to its number.
 
I need a cell phone number with a regular carrier, registered and billed to my US address. Usable for calls to and from Argentina. Any ideas?
 
I need a cell phone number with a regular carrier, registered and billed to my US address. Usable for calls to and from Argentina. Any ideas?
On 1 sim from a US carrier? Not likely without paying a fortune for outbound calls and making it near impossible for inbound calls from Argentina without an international plan from the Argentine caller. It's impractical and unnecessary. Dual sim phones exist for this reason.

Keep in mind most of Argentina doesn't even use the cellular network for calls. They use Whatsapp, which can call any international number. So you get a US carrier # and they call your US # via WhatsApp. The cellular network is whole other ball of wax.
 
I have also been using Tello as the second eSim on my phone for a couple years and it works really well. It uses Wifi for the calls and texts while in Argentina. Here in Argentina I use the cheapest $5 plan and when visiting in the US I switch it temporarily to a plan with more data.
I have the same setup and it works seamlessly ... and only 5 dollars a month ! ... with e-sim, you do not need to be in the US for activation so i was also able to maintain my google voice account ... Tello's customer service is human and excellent ... that alone makes it a good choice ... my phone has local service ( regular sim ), Tello ( 2nd slot, e-sim, and google voice (app)
 
I need a cell phone number with a regular carrier, registered and billed to my US address. Usable for calls to and from Argentina. Any ideas?
Does it really need to be a cell phone number if your specific need does not mention SMS messaging? If not then Vonage has always been a nice landline service. Bring their router box and plug into your argentina home internet. I did for many years, until my phone requirements lessened. I kept one box in US and one here in Argentina for each of my home offices, by disabling/enabling each one depending on where I was.

Google Voice has a business service you can pay for. I have worked full time, full days on phone calls, dealing with the occasional conference call that gets disconnected at the 3hr limit, requiring me to redial. No sim, just internet based service

I have had the same Google Fi phone number with cell service for 10+ years. Billed to US address. Most of the time paused, without any charges, but when I really need to take a cell call, while away from the home office, or receive sms, I unpause and pay the $0.028 per hour charge ($20 ÷ 30 days ÷ 24 hours). Get a subsidized Pixel or Samsung phone with 24 months of payments or same cost in one payment, coinciding with a US visit, requiring me to pay the full unpaused $20 per month service for 3-4 months to qualify.
 
Last edited:
Does it really need to be a cell phone number if your specific need does not mention SMS messaging? If not then Vonage has always been a nice landline service. Bring their router box and plug into your argentina home internet. I did for many years, until my phone requirements lessened. I kept one box in US and one here in Argentina for each of my home offices, by disabling/enabling each one depending on where I was.

Google Voice has a business service you can pay for. I have worked full time, full days on phone calls, dealing with the occasional conference call that gets disconnected at the 3hr limit, requiring me to redial. No sim, just internet based service

I have had the same Google Fi phone number with cell service for 10+ years. Billed to US address. Most of the time paused, without any charges, but when I really need to take a cell call, while away from the home office, or receive sms, I unpause and pay the $0.028 per hour charge ($20 ÷ 30 days ÷ 24 hours). Get a subsidized Pixel or Samsung phone with 24 months of payments or same cost in one payment, coinciding with a US visit, requiring me to pay the full unpaused $20 per month service for 3-4 months to qualify.
tello-period-works for all my banks...etc
 
Back
Top