USD account for prospective rentista visa

To all those transferring the money in from overseas each month for the Rentista (or Pensionista) temporary residency: what is the process for determining the amount each month?

Since the sueldo minimo changes each month, the amount (its dollar or other currency equivalent) a rentista or pensionista has to bring in (for those who have been told they have to do so--clearly not everyone has been given the memo) will be different each transfer. Do Migraciones issue a communication each month informing the amount for that month? Are people who rely on lawyer and gestores taking guidance from them? Are people just working it out for themselves (diligently following the news on movements in the sueldo minimo and calculating the home currency amount at the official conversion rate on a given day in that month and then dutifully transferring that, all at their own initiative? What are people thinking of doing for January given that the government has yet to determine the amount of the sueldo minimo for that month?

I typically keep an eye on the newspaper, but also the Celano law firm's instagram posts it. It's the labor ministry that changes it, not Migraciones, if I understand correctly. I don't know that they've decided the amounts for 2024 yet (see below), but I assume I'll send the same amount as last month unless we hear an update.

@julia_en_ruta Hello Julia,

I am currently at the same spot trying several banks here in Rosario, this information is invaluable!

Question: So did you already have an account with Santander in the US or did you open one in AR?

Request: Can you please provide the bank managers name (Most Important) and contact information here:
Branch Location:
Managers Name:
Contact Information:

Thank you in advance for your help!

Matthew Hoinkes

@julia_en_ruta Hello Julia,

I am currently at the same spot trying several banks here in Rosario, this information is invaluable!

Question: So did you already have an account with Santander in the US or did you open one in AR?

Request: Can you please provide the bank managers name (Most Important) and contact information here:
Branch Location:
Managers Name:
Contact Information:

Thank you in advance for your help!

Matthew Hoinkes

I didn't have a Santander account, I just got one here. I don't have the branch manager's name or contact, but I went to the location at Santa Fe 1146 in CABA.

I typically keep an eye on the newspaper, but also the Celano law firm's instagram posts it. It's the labor ministry that changes it, not Migraciones, if I understand correctly. I don't know that they've decided the amounts for 2024 yet (see below), but I assume I'll send the same amount as last month unless we hear an update.

According to Celano it is now 1.105

I didn't have a Santander account, I just got one here. I don't have the branch manager's name or contact, but I went to the location at Santa Fe 1146 in CABA.
Again according to Celano, unfortunately it is no longer possible to open a USD account at Santander in the branch where you have opened it.

Thank you, how long ago did you go? Google is showing that location has been permanently closed.

The main issue that we are facing is: How does one even open a bank account in the first place without a valid DNI? I've had no luck whatsoever; even while being accompanied by Argentino friends to help.

Also, what is the rational behind demanding that dollars be deposited in a local bank account, only to be immediately devalued as pesos, absent any guarantee of being granted a pensionado visa conditional upon the deposit(s)? It is nonsensical. I am curious as to whether anyone else is on the horns of this dilemma. Thanks in advance.

Back