Using Apps like Google Pay in Argentina - Possible?

NeoWonk

Registered
YyQeB.jpg(Joe in his last visit to Coto)

To avoid taking a wheel barrel of cash to the supermarket, is it possible and practical to use an app like Google Pay in Argentina?

Is it possible to load Google Pay using cash in order to take advantage of the Blue Dollar? Do many retail establishments take Google Pay? What about Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, etc.

I'm guessing this requires a local debit or credit card. In the past it was very difficult to impossible to get a local credit or debit card on a tourist visa. Is this still the case?

Last edited:
Yes I use apple pay all the time, I'm sure you can use Google Pay as well. You can use foreign or local cards.

Load cash? You could swap dollars at the blue then deposit them into a local account that is connected to a debit card and load it to Google Pay.

Is it possible to load Google Pay using cash in order to take advantage of the Blue Dollar?
Today the conversion rate is better when using international credit card compared to buying ARS at the blue rate. So the same if your international card is attached to your Google or Apple Pay. The same advantage has been for at least a month, and when considering your time and convenience the CC has been better for several months.

Today the conversion rate is better when using international credit card compared to buying ARS at the blue rate. So the same if your international card is attached to your Google or Apple Pay. The same advantage has been for at least a month, and when considering your time and convenience the CC has been better for several months.
Argentina has some new twist on their machinations with money on every visit. I found the rate for MEP or the Tourist Dollar. The spread is insane. I'm not clear whether the buy or sell rate applies to credit card purchases.

Buy
Sell

I found the rate for MEP or the Tourist Dollar. The spread is insane. I'm not clear whether the buy or sell rate applies to credit card purchases.
That link you mention has nothing to do with anyone using a credit card from a bank outside Argentina. Just use the Visa currency converter to learn the exact rate for each day, or use the previous days MEP rate to understand the approximate conversion for your foreign CC.
Dolar MEP != Dolar Turista
☝️

1710280728110.png

This is not true at all. Look at the rates today, cards are at 919 pesos while blue has not been that low in ages. Yes the difference is not very big but it is still 5-10% worse when paying with cards compared to blue dollar and even more compared to getting cash from WU.

This is not true at all. Look at the rates today, cards are at 919 pesos while blue has not been that low in ages. Yes the difference is not very big but it is still 5-10% worse when paying with cards compared to blue dollar and even more compared to getting cash from WU.
It is true considering time wasted is money wasted, especially In regards to the Original Post question “is there a way to get Blue rate pesos loaded onto Google Pay instead of carrying around lots of pesos”. I guess for a lengthy visit to hotel or something else expensive, then you are correct. And yes the CCL rate which is often similar to WU is also even better, but still not worth my time unless paying for something over the cost of day to day expenses.

I knew it was too good to be true that using a credit or debit card would give you a better rate than cash...

Back