Using public healthcare system in CABA during trip

pixer12

Registered
Friend of mine from the U.S. will be visiting me in CABA soon and they're wondering whether/how they'll be able to use the public healthcare system here in case of an emergency. They'll be here for a few days.

Can anyone share their experiences using the public healthcare system with regards to restrictions on location, types of care, wait times, etc?

My friend is considering buying a travel medical insurance plan in case using the public system seems like it is going to not be a viable option.

Somebody who is concerned about restrictions on location, types of care, wait times etc probably ought to consider medical insurance. Somebody who is in otherwise good health who wants to know that if they have an unexpected accident or fall unpredictably ill they will be cared for appropriately should have nothing to fear from the public system - though any time I have been to a public hospital I have made an appropriate donation because I think I ought to and because I can.

Friend of mine from the U.S. will be visiting me in CABA soon and they're wondering whether/how they'll be able to use the public healthcare system here in case of an emergency. They'll be here for a few days.

Can anyone share their experiences using the public healthcare system with regards to restrictions on location, types of care, wait times, etc?

My friend is considering buying a travel medical insurance plan in case using the public system seems like it is going to not be a viable option.

For a few days visit, may not get an appointment in the public healthcare system.

For a few days visit, may not get an appointment in the public healthcare system.
While I completely agree with this, I know from personal ecperience as a tourist that anyone can go to the emergency room of a public hospital if they require (or think that they require) immediate medical attemtion, as I did at the Facultad de Medicina on a Sunday morning, less than 30 days after my first arrival in Argentina.

After a very brief wait, I spoke with a physician and he immediately ordered an electrocardiogram. Nothing irregular was detected. I left the hospital after being told to return without hesitation if I experienced any additional symtoms and that they could not accept my offer to pay for the examination.

While I completely agree with this, I know from personal ecperience as a tourist that anyone can go to the emergency room of a public hospital if they require (or think that they require) immediate medical attemtion, as I did at the Facultad de Medicina on a Sunday morning, less than 30 days after my first arrival in Argentina.

After a very brief wait, I spoke with a physician and he immediately ordered an electrocardiogram. Nothing irregular was detected. I left the hospital after being told to return without hesitation if I experienced any additional symtoms and that they could not accept my offer to pay for the examination.
Tend to agree the Hospital de Clinicas is by far better.

Thanks for providing the exact name!
If you go to the Guardia at this H.D.C during the day they ask you to go to the front office and request a turno. I used to go around midnight and sometimes wait several hours until a Doctor was available.

Somebody who is concerned about restrictions on location, types of care, wait times etc probably ought to consider medical insurance. Somebody who is in otherwise good health who wants to know that if they have an unexpected accident or fall unpredictably ill they will be cared for appropriately should have nothing to fear from the public system - though any time I have been to a public hospital I have made an appropriate donation because I think I ought to and because I can.
Right, we’re thinking the latter case. They’re in fairly good health and are thinking of what-ifs. So if they have to go to an urgent care/guardia for an accident or fall unpredictably ill, they should be able to go to any public hospital and be seen?

Edit: forgot I had replied earlier and hadn’t refreshed the page on mobile to see that there had been other replies since then.

Back