Using Wise to deposit dollars in a USD bank account of house seller in Arg?

desde_Holanda

Registered
Hi! Likely in Nov we will buy a house in Capital Federal. The money will come from a EUR bank account. The owner of the house has a USD account at BBVA Argentina and has contacted the bank to check on possibilities and requirements to receive dollars without pesification.

From my side I have been looking at ways to transfer the dollars, which involves exchange from EUR to USD, about 250K. As it seems, Wise gives a very attractive rate and low costs. Does anybody have experience with using Wise for large international bank transactions to Argentina? If so, I am very interested in knowing more.

Using Wise depends on your bank account’s daily transfer limit. You may need to speak with your bank to increase this limit since this is a mobile banking issue. Otherwise you can’t send 250K on wise at one go. I strongly recommend contacting wise beforehand as they may offer something else. Or you can even speak to your bank and see hey may offer you a lot better deal. Good luck.

Following this thread because I am curious about what the best or recommended method people are using for transferring or getting USD purchase price into the country is. I have heard all kinds of crazy examples but am just going to see what others' experience has been.

If this works at all (transfer to local bank account without losing 20-30%) then why not just use plain bank wire transfer?
Why do you need Wise?

If this works at all (transfer to local bank account without losing 20-30%) then why not just use plain bank wire transfer?
Why do you need Wise?
Because Wise is cheaper. Note: in the meantime I have found out that Wise doesn't offer their services yet to Argentina. They mention they are working on it. :-(

wire transfer fee in American banks is usually fixed fee around $30 for any amount of transfer.
Not percentage of transfer.
So you can wire transfer $500k and still pay $30 fee. I think it's pretty cheap.
I need to find out how that is for a European Bank. I am not so much worried about the fee, more about the exchange rate EUR/USD they will use.

Back