Venezuela elections

Gringoboy

Registered
It would be interesting to speculate on the outcome of the impending elections in Venezuela and any effect, if any on the politics of Argentina.
I'm no politics student, but it would seem that if Capriles wins, many of Chavez's isolationist policies would be reversed including most of it's alliances with countries such as Iran and Syria, to name but two.
Would a Chavez win bolster the current regime in Argentina to push forward even more state control and intervention?
Views would be appreciated.

Gringoboy said:
It would be interesting to speculate on the outcome of the impending elections in Venezuela and any effect, if any on the politics of Argentina.
I'm no politics student, but it would seem that if Capriles wins, many of Chavez's isolationist policies would be reversed including most of it's alliances with countries such as Iran and Syria, to name but two.
Would a Chavez win bolster the current regime in Argentina to push forward even more state control and intervention?
Views would be appreciated.

Good thread Gringoboy, I too keeping a keen eye on this. 6th October isnt it? Saw something about on the news the other day how Capriles was holding a speech, next minute the TV channels cut to Chavez, completely cut the guy off. Democracy hey.

I think a Chavez loss would be detrimental to Cristina and her regime thats for sure, shes pretty much cloning his policies down here.

Plus, who is going to buy her bonds if Chavez doesnt?

trennod said:
Good thread Gringoboy, I too keeping a keen eye on this. 6th October isnt it? Saw something about on the news the other day how Capriles was holding a speech, next minute the TV channels cut to Chavez, completely cut the guy off. Democracy hey.

I think a Chavez loss would be detrimental to Cristina and her regime thats for sure, shes pretty much cloning his policies down here.

Plus, who is going to buy her bonds if Chavez doesnt?

Its on the 7th of October and a Henrique Capriles win does not seem very likely.

In the event that Chavez does lose (again, not very likely in my opinion), CFK will lose an ally. Would that force her to reverse her policies in the near future? I doubt that very much seeing how arrogant Cristina and her cronies are.

I do think a Chavez loss would weaken the Argentine economy much faster.

Chavez has loaned Argentina about 3 billion dollars. No Chavez and Venezuela could cash out and put a dent in K's plans.

Whilst I don't condone throwing cheap shots at someone's health, but would Chavez be possibly capitalising on the sympathy of the people due to his poor health?
Much in the same way as CFK with the death of her husband and to a lesser extent, her neck problem?

If Chavez is not reelected his allies would be in SERIOUS trouble, Castro in Cuba and Ortega in Nicaragua would not continue to receive subsidized Oil. Argentina, may be affected in some of the current/future energy Deals?
Chavez must have ways to influence the Vote counting in his favour! extremely hard for Capriles to win!

^ It's interesting to read how Jimmy Carter is quoted as saying that elections in Venezuela are possibly the fairest in the world.

Ah Jimmy Carter and Sean Penn...perfect examples of brainless zombies walking the earth.

You are all assuming the elections there will not be rigged. They probably will.

Back