VERA CRUZ restaurant (P.Soho) + + + +

Napoleon

Registered
Ok, the stupid "+" signs are to indicate it's going to be a positive review.

I went to Vera Cruz on Thursday night for drinks and munchies. Here's the Guia Oleo link: http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=1401

The inside was dead, but we got a table on the sidewalk (ALWAYS a plus). The table of ~5 people next to us was eating something that had a ton of different ramicans like this...

...filled with different things. It looked yummy. And before we knew it, the waiter was trying to up-sale the dish. It's kind of a poo-poo platter, tapas bar, Mexican food sampler. And it was awesome. Here's roughly what came with it in individual ramicans:

-stewed pork
-stewed beef
-stewed chicken
-rice
-refried black beans
-guacamole
-grilled onions & something else delicious
-spicy chocolate mole
-sour cream
-tortilla chips
one or two other things and Corn & Flour tortillas.

TONS of flavor. F---ing delicious. I'm totally going back!

The dish was for two people and was AR$75, but it was all we ate. We didn't really need much more. We drank some Micheladas and that was our experience.

I want to recommend the place, because it wasn't very busy. But when a restaurant has flavorful food in Buenos Aires, you don't want it to disappear.

Napoleon

Registered
OK, so making sure that restaurants that serve food with flavor survive is too important to let this thread drop.

I was thinking about this restaurant all weekend and telling everybody I know how good it was. There's a possibility that I'll go back sometime during the week, but this time I would just order an entree (plato principal). Maybe some guac for starters... after living practically my whole life in Texas and California, it's hard to turn down guac.

Es rrrrrrrrrrriiccoooooooo!

Celia

Registered
I haven't been for a couple of years, but it was nothing to write home about...hopefully it's improved!

chilady

Registered
I actually won a free dinner from them from BuenosAiresdelivery.com. Anyways, I went in and they acted like they didn't know who I was so I had to go home, email the website, then go back to Vera Cruz. When I went back, the man who I perceive as the manager, said it was only valid on certain days at which point I told them it was the 2nd time I was there for my free meal and I was not coming back a 3rd time! The man agreed to give it to me.

The food was okay. The guacamole was AMAZING I have to say. I got beef fajitas. I got 3 corn tortillas, the meat was delicious, but the rice and beans were dry and bland. They have a margarita special but I thought they were gross. I would go back for chips and guacamole and a beer--that's about it

Napoleon

Registered
I glanced at the thread title and thought "I think that's that Mexican place I went a few years ago."

Then I started reading the review and I thought "That's just as I had remembered it... when was this original post written?"

Then I noticed that I wrote the original post. :eek:

I guess that that explains why our experiences were so similar.

I went twice back in 2008 and I haven't been back since. There are more options now. I even noticed advertising for California Burrito Company (CBC) on the subte today. Apparently they have about 6 stores, plus are now in other countries as well. Those guys have really done well. Especially considering they came here and started that thing when the 3 of them were in their early-mid 20s.