Video: The expat view from Buenos Aires

AlexanderB said:
Actually, that was exactly my reaction. I felt strongly that my home country could use some of BA's cowbell in everyday life. Still do.

That is why I said, different people look at it differently. And the video seems to only have interviewed people with opinion like yours.

Regardless of all of that, like I said in the beginning, the video does not try to hide the fact that it will paint a rosy picture of Buenos Aires.

However, the opinion of all expats is not represented in the video.

At the very least Furious Pete enjoyed himself.
Still on the floor at that!

AlexanderB said:
Actually, that was exactly my reaction. I felt strongly that my home country could use some of BA's cowbell in everyday life. Still do.

I agree. I'm already trying to cope with the thought of moving back to Minnesota. Long winters, predictable people, and steady 8 to 5 job.

That's why I'm bringing the porteña with me :cool:

We'll see how long it takes before I start missing this place - not too long I'm guessing!

sam3g said:
I agree. I'm already trying to cope with the thought of moving back to Minnesota. Long winters, predictable people, and steady 8 to 5 job.

That's why I'm bringing the porteña with me :cool:

We'll see how long it takes before I start missing this place - not too long I'm guessing!

She may miss it much faster than you...especially in her first Minnesota winter.

Overcoming that may be your greatest challenge...but not completely beyond your control.

Fortunately, electric blankets are plentiful.

I came here because I loved it. I had spent one whole year before settling. I still find positive things about B.A but don't idealize it anymore. I don't like tourist leaflets: living here is hard, even if you like it. One is always a stranger, no matter how good your "castellano" is. I am fluent and I am VERY integrated here. I guess, we all dream of something else at one point and Argentina looks so much like home but is so different at the same time. One has to come with an open mind. if you stay for one year, you may not see the difference. Then you get to understand there's a HUGE difference in the way of thinking.

urbanjunglejane said:
I came here because I loved it. I had spent one whole year before settling. I still find positive things about B.A but don't idealize it anymore. I don't like tourist leaflets: living here is hard, even if you like it. One is always a stranger, no matter how good your "castellano" is. I am fluent and I am VERY integrated here. I guess, we all dream of something else at one point and Argentina looks so much like home but is so different at the same time. One has to come with an open mind. if you stay for one year, you may not see the difference. Then you get to understand there's a HUGE difference in the way of thinking.

Oh, but it's still a great place to "experience a totally different cluture" especially if you want to be almost run down in any crosswalk, cheated by taxi drivers, ripped off by landlords, pick pocketed in the subway, have your backpack stolen in the train station (Retiro) or looted in the street (especially in or near Plaza San Martin or calle Florida), eat crappy overpriced food in restaurants, and almost never be able to return defective merchandise for a refund. :(

It's also a great plece to move to "the country" where you don't have to worry if you forget to lock your door at night, no one ever short changes or overcharges you, and always is willing to help in any way they can...even when it's obvious you are a foreigner. :)

Sorry to be so positive about life in Argentina. ;)

That's just the way it is...for me...but I got out of line. :p

Back