Visa enforcement?

Back to the topic of this thread, might deportation proceedings be commenced if someone applies for residency, having overstayed their 3 months (and having done so in the past as well), but has Argentine family? Has anyone heard of this happening?

I don't know what everyone else thinks but the more I read the more I think that going straight for citizenship does seem to be the better option if you are thinking of staying here long term.

ben said:
Back to the topic of this thread, might deportation proceedings be commenced if someone applies for residency, having overstayed their 3 months (and having done so in the past as well), but has Argentine family? Has anyone heard of this happening?

Caz said:
I don't know what everyone else thinks but the more I read the more I think that going straight for citizenship does seem to be the better option if you are thinking of staying here long term.

Who's done that here successfully? Any first-person accounts that could be shared?

ben said:
Yes, but you already had residency/DNI when you started, if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, I did. I do know that you can apply for residency after your 90 day visa transitoria (aka tourist visa) has expired. I got a 90 day extemnsion (prooroga de permanencia) prior to applying anyway.

If you are not granted residency (bad FBI report, insufficient or unacceptable source of income) perhaps then you could receive a "deportation" order, but an expired tourist visa shouldn't be a factor in obtaining residency (at least not at this time).

The only cases I know of individuals who have applied for citizenship without a DNI are those Bajo_cero2 has posted about in this thread: Argentine citizenship for foreigners?

I tried wading through some former threads in search of an answer, but my eyes started to cross after a while...

Upon marrying an Argentine, is a foreigner immediately eligible for citizenship, or must he or she live here for 2 years like everybody else? I know eligibility kicks in as soon as you give birth here, but not clear about marriage...

starlucia said:
I tried wading through some former threads in search of an answer, but my eyes started to cross after a while...

Upon marrying an Argentine, is a foreigner immediately eligible for citizenship, or must he or she live here for 2 years like everybody else? I know eligibility kicks in as soon as you give birth here, but not clear about marriage...

Once you get married here you are automatically eligibile for permanent residency. I know 2 people who have gotten married here (one Irish and one USA), didn't have residency (permatourists) and went to migraciones with their libreta de casamiento and all of the other required documents for residency (passport, criminal background check, apostiled birth certificate, etc.) and received their permanent residency and DNI within 2 months. Citizenship is a different trámite and I believe you have to live here 2 years to get it AFTER becoming a permanent resident. I know there is a thread on this board about becoming a citizen just by living here 2 years whether you have residency or not, and the constitution of Argentina DOES say that it's allowed however I can't personally vouch for how it's obtained.

"Art. 20.- Los extranjeros gozan en el territorio de la Nación de todos los derechos civiles del ciudadano; pueden ejercer su industria, comercio y profesión; poseer bienes raíces, comprarlos y enajenarlos; navegar los ríos y costas; ejercer libremente su culto; testar y casarse conforme a las leyes. No están obligados a admitir la ciudadanía, ni a pagar contribuciones forzosas extraordinarias. Obtienen nacionalización residiendo dos años continuos en la Nación; pero la autoridad puede acortar este término a favor del que lo solicite, alegando y probando servicios a la República."

Citizenship is always "obtained" through the juzgada federal. Argentine migraciones has nothing to do with it. You simply go to the federal court in your jurisdiction and ask for the carte ciudania. In Bahaia Blanca I had the choice of two courts (#1 or #2) depending on which month I wanted to apply (they alternate). They gave me a list of the requisites and when I returned with my documents and photocopies they even filled out the form for me.

To the best of my knowledge, even after marriage there is a two year residency requirment for citizenship, though as others have posted, marriage leads to permanent residency within a couple months. Two years of residency, regardless of immigration status is required for citizenship and the two year period begins the day you first enter Argentina (yes, even as a tourist). Neither temporary or permanent residency (granted by migraciones) or a DNI is required by law.

Back