Visa Run And Passport Expiration

hillbilly

Registered
Has anyone done a visa run to Colonia with less than 6 months validity on their passport? I'm leaving Argentina definitively in March and I would like to take care of my overstay fee beforehand. My passport expires in June, and sometimes countries ask for 6-month passport validity upon entry. Does anyone have any insight on this?

If you are going to overstay your visa, you can request your habilitación salida 15 days prior to your trip.

If I pay the fine and get the permission to exit form at the airport, is it good for 10 days? My situation is that I'm flying out on standby, so I won't know if I'm getting on the flight until an hour before. I wouldn't want to have to pay the fine again the next day if I don't get a flight out the first day.

If you go to the airport on the day of your flight, the habilitación de salida is valid for 10 days.

On the form it says: "AUTORIZARSE AL TITULAR DEL PRESENTE DOCUMENTO PERMANECER Y HACER ABANDONO DEL PAIS HASTA EL DIA ____(+10 days from the date the form was requested)_____ PUDIENDO ADQUIRIR EL PASAJE CORRESPONDIENTE PARA TAL FIN."

I incorrectly stated it was 15--Sorry about that. If you think you'll be on standby for more than 10 days, then the trip to Colonia might be a good idea.

As far as the 6-month validity of your passport, that is completely dependent upon the immigration agent. Some will care; most will not.

Are you a U.S. citizen? If so, you might want to consider renewing your passport, if you have time. Passports can be renewed in ~15 days from the time the Consulate receives them. You'd have to make an appointment for that. http://argentina.use.../passports.html

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I won't be on standby for more than 10 days, so I won't bother with Colonia.

Back