Visit with intent to research a possible move

Rasca el Mar

Registered
I am close to completing preparation for tourist travel. I saw an article in B.A. Times stating that tourists can establish a bank account in Argentina that allows for use of a debit card and beneficial exchange rates dollar to peso. The account must be established previous to my travel date. Can anyone fill in some missing info? 1. A bank or several 2. I hope to make a loop B.A., Cordoba region, Mendoza, Barilloche sp?, Puerto Madryn or Atlantic coast, and back to B.A. hence, a single bank with access in multiple places.

Learning more about B.A. and Montevideo/Uruguay is the intent.

It just might be better to Western Union money to yourself rather than this 'deal' which is less than it seems on the surface. WU is 210-215 these days.....and much less complicated.

I’ve been using Xoom for years now. You can send yourself money from any US Bank account or CC.
They have place around the city where you can pick up the money in pesos. The rates are better than that “bank for tourist“ deal.
And less hassle to deal with.

Although permitted to do so, I have not seen any bank actually offering these yet. Imagine still going through the technical development phase internally.

Your only options remain cash or something like Western Union (Which as others have said is a great idea if you set it up before you travel, link it to your home bank account or credit/ debit card and can then send yourself money orders when you need. Otherwise you can send cash by visiting an outlet in your home country before you travel. You'll get the rate applicable on the day you sent it. There are pick up locations nationwide.)

Although permitted to do so, I have not seen any bank actually offering these yet. Imagine still going through the technical development phase internally.

Your only options remain cash or something like Western Union (Which as others have said is a great idea if you set it up before you travel, link it to your home bank account or credit/ debit card and can then send yourself money orders when you need. Otherwise you can send cash by visiting an outlet in your home country before you travel. You'll get the rate applicable on the day you sent it. There are pick up locations nationwide.)

Thanks for the response, my neurosis is appropriately assuaged!

Remember if you do that special account that money is locked in argentina. Use western union.

Back