wages for cleaners

sergio

Registered
I'd like an update on the going rate (per hour) for domestic cleaners. Does the rate include transportation costs?

Hi.

For a domestic worker "en blanco", the minimum salaries have been changing every year per gov resolutions. The last update (increase) occurred on November 2009:

http://www.infoleg.gov.ar/infolegInternet/resaltaranexos/160000-164999/160280/norma.htm

That includes the official pay scale (monthly wages) based on different categories and types of work performed. According to that doc, the minimum hourly rate is about $10.27.

But keep in mind those are government set minimums, so you should consider experience, and current costs of living among other factors when you determine how much you are going to pay.

sergio said:
I'd like an update on the going rate (per hour) for domestic cleaners. Does the rate include transportation costs?

Rates vary by neighborhood: from ten pesos in the suburbs, to fifteen downtown, plus transportation. Ask your neighbors what's the going rate for your part of town.

here in San isidro we pay 10 pesos per hour and 2 pesos each way the bus....I just paid my cleaner 64 pesos

I've been asking people - Argentines. They tell me no more than $12 plus transportation. This is for Barrio Norte. I can't see how neighborhood is a factor. Most cleaning personnel travel long distances to work - often up to two hours each way. Are expats paying more because they choose to be generous? I'm just trying to get an idea of what is normal for the local market.

I pay my cleaning lady 12 pesos per hour plus 10 for transportation (which I think is really high, but I know she lives over an hour away)

I pay my cleaner 14 per hours plus 10 pesos (5 each way). She got a raise at the beginning of the year.

mine is 12 per hour. she cleans a few places in my building so no need to pay for transportation

sergio said:
I've been asking people - Argentines. They tell me no more than $12 plus transportation. This is for Barrio Norte. I can't see how neighborhood is a factor. Most cleaning personnel travel long distances to work - often up to two hours each way. Are expats paying more because they choose to be generous? I'm just trying to get an idea of what is normal for the local market.

When I asked locals they told me they were paying 15 peso per hour while I was paying 13 at the time, except those who have full time workers. For full time they are paying about 9 per hour, which is scandalous!

Back