Walrus Books – Workshop On "gonzo" And Literary Journalism

Wakarimasen

Registered
"GONZO" and the New Journalism: Reporting as Storytelling
A New Literary Workshop at Walrus Books

In the 1960s, some of America’s leading novelists turned to non-fiction, just as a new generation of journalists began to draw on literary techniques. A new form of narrative reporting was created, and writers like Hunter S Thompson made it their own. This 6 week course will explore the history and legacy of that form, drawing on work by Norman Mailer, Truman Capote, Tom Wolfe, Kurt Vonnegut and – of course – Hunter S Thompson, as well as pioneering novelist-journalists such as Orwell and Hemingway, and modern-day practitioners like Dave Eggers and David Foster Wallace.

The course also offers an optional writing component – develop your own piece of journalism for a workshop session in the final week.

Wednesdays at Walrus Books, 20:30 - 22:00. May 15th - June 19th. 500 pesos plus a 50 peso photocopy fee.
Enroll here: [email protected]

Taught by Stephen Phelan.

Stephen Phelan is an award-winning Irish journalist and broadcaster. He has reported from all over the world, and spent several years as a foreign correspondent in Japan, where he wrote extensively about the earthquake and tsunami of March 2011. He is regularly commissioned by the BBC and CNN, and his written work has been published in major international newspapers and magazines, including The Guardian, The Times (London), The Sydney Morning Herald, The Boston Review, and The Believer. Stephen also has an MA in literature from the University of Edinburgh.

Sorry, it's been pointed out to me that the above post reads a little strangely, and perhaps insanely self-involved in the third person. That text was basically cut and pasted in from the official Walrus Books course programme. The gist is, I'll be offering the above-mentioned six-week workshop on gonzo and the new journalism (not really "teaching" so much as providing a forum for discussion) at that well-known and much-loved bookshop in San Telmo from May 15. If you're interested in any of the named authors I hope you might consider signing up. To enroll you can email the shop directly: [email protected]

Back