Want to live in San Telmo, but what's the new area out there?

passiontraveller

Registered
I'm moving to BA in Jan/Feb and would love to live in a more bohemian, artsy, but centralized area of town----not too commercial with not so many tourists. Hopefully close to subways. Greenery much appreciated!

Anyone have any suggestions??

I'm coming from the US, have lived in NYC, Paris and London.

xoxo Morgan

Hey There,

I'm moving to the city in January and I'm in a similar situation. What have you found out? So far I'm still thinking San Telmo.

yesterday, I went to the Casa Foa design show on Defensa in San Telmo. I hadn't been there in a while and thought... It's like visiting Cuba without having to go there.

passiontraveller said:
I'm moving to BA in Jan/Feb and would love to live in a more bohemian, artsy, but centralized area of town----not too commercial with not so many tourists. Hopefully close to subways. Greenery much appreciated!

Anyone have any suggestions??

I'm coming from the US, have lived in NYC, Paris and London.

xoxo Morgan

The center of San Telmo is really congested with tourists (but there seem to be more in Palermo). If you really don't want to be near tourists, then don't live near Defensa or Plaza Dorrego. There are fewer tourists in the southern part of the neighborhood past Av. San Juan, and you could live near Parque Lezama, which is fun. There's also an interesting commercial area in the Eastern part of the neighborhood to the East of Paseo Colon. It's not very pretty there, but it's right next to Puerto Madero, and there are fewer tourists (in part because there aren't that many apt. buildings there). It's more of a commercial area, but it's nice because you aren't right next to a bunch of touristas, but you only have to walk across Paseo Colon to be in the heart of the neighborhood.

Barracas is supposed to have an up-and-coming art scene and has a lot less tourists than San Telmo. Would probably be cheaper to rent in Barracas too, but it's a lot easier to find apartments in the touristy areas (San Telmo, Palermo).

I've been hearing about BARRACAS for a long time now - years - as an up and coming desirable neighborhood (Artists, Bohemian, etc) . So is it turning into a new artsy area or has it stalled? Frankly, I haven't heard or read much about it lately. So does anyone live around there or know the present day story/situation? Thanks, Dudester

I think that Barracas isn´t a great area for a foreigner to choose to rent although I agree that it could be one of the most economical options. Monserrat would be a good alternative to San Telmo, and probably in several years will be the next San Telmo in terms of rental costs and developments. The Architects and lecturers here all seem to agree that the neighbourhoods have potential due to the age and height of the buildings, to become a very pretty part of the city. Villa Crespo is also beautiful and has this same potential to develop. You can look outside the box of the recommended tourist neighbourhoods here quite safely. Don´t feel limited and good luck finding your perfect scene.

Back