Want to see the real Argentina?

Hi, BBW.
Randy, staying with the title of this thread ...wanting to see Argentina...consider visiting the BsAs countrysides. An hour's drive outside of BsAs you will see beautiful open fields and meet with very lovely and warm people - real people of Argentina. Outside of the busy city you can have some quiet moments to think and relax, play golf, go biking, fishing- visit the country side if you can. If commute is no problem to you (believe me everywhere is better than LA traffic, at any given time!) living outside of BsAs is a great option.

"syngirl" said:
Granada, I actually think it would be great for you to go on one (not with your mum of course). It would be really interesting to hear back from you what you thought after going. The price is high, but I'd love to hear from someone else who went with the closed mind like me. I don't think I will be doing it here, I'll be honest, for 20 us I'd go if I had friends in town, but 60 is too steep for me.
I know the villa´s, I just don´t do what I should do there

"Grazie" said:
Hi, BBW.
Randy, staying with the title of this thread ...wanting to see Argentina...consider visiting the BsAs countrysides. An hour's drive outside of BsAs you will see beautiful open fields and meet with very lovely and warm people - real people of Argentina. Outside of the busy city you can have some quiet moments to think and relax, play golf, go biking, fishing- visit the country side if you can. If commute is no problem to you (believe me everywhere is better than LA traffic, at any given time!) living outside of BsAs is a great option.
Thanks sounds good to me..any areas you would suggest?
Ahh LA traffic know it only too well no matter what time of day the 405 is always backed up from LAX to Santa Monica FWY..even at 3am !!
Best
Randy

"PanamaRandy" said:
Hi, BBW.

Thanks sounds good to me..any areas you would suggest?
Ahh LA traffic know it only too well no matter what time of day the 405 is always backed up from LAX to Santa Monica FWY..even at 3am !!
Best
Randy
Any place north of BA will do, ideally close to the Pan Americana or any other autopista

I still think it's crappy to make money off of these people. It's like going to a zoo. How would you feel if people paid to come and watch how horribly you live? I agree with Grazie - go travel the real Argentina - OUTSIDE of Buenos Aires.

Not at all you have the wrong idea..why not go and then give your opinion..
It's your own shame that makes you feel this way..These folks have lots of pride and no shame and plus they like to sell you stuff..comparing them to a Zoo says a lot about your thinking and not them..
Best
Randy

"PanamaRandy" said:
It's your own shame that makes you feel this way..These folks have lots of pride and no shame and plus they like to sell you stuff..comparing them to a Zoo says a lot about your thinking and not them..
I agree with you and -- not that you need it -- let me add my voice to yours. The majority of the world's population now lives in urban areas. The mega slum cities of Sao Paolo, Bombay, Cairo, Mexico City, and so on, are the way of the present and even more of the future. So it behoves us to learn a bit more about them if we can. The favelas and villas miseria describe a growing reality -- as the events of May 2006 in Sao Paolo made clear. And -- dare I say it here? -- North American cities such as LA and NYC are following in the wake of these third world cities as the middle class vanishes, immigration continues, and rich and poor become ever increasingly polarised. This is the brave new world we inhabit and if some of us would like a clearer view of this reality -- instead of a picture postcard version -- we shouldn't be accused of seeking cheap, vicarious thrills or being voyeuristic.

"bigbadwolf" said:
I agree with you and -- not that you need it -- let me add my voice to yours. The majority of the world's population now lives in urban areas. The mega slum cities of Sao Paolo, Bombay, Cairo, Mexico City, and so on, are the way of the present and even more of the future. So it behoves us to learn a bit more about them if we can. The favelas and villas miseria describe a growing reality -- as the events of May 2006 in Sao Paolo made clear. And -- dare I say it here? -- North American cities such as LA and NYC are following in the wake of these third world cities as the middle class vanishes, immigration continues, and rich and poor become ever increasingly polarised. This is the brave new world we inhabit and if some of us would like a clearer view of this reality -- instead of a picture postcard version -- we shouldn't be accused of seeking cheap, vicarious thrills or being voyeuristic.
In France there are Bulgarians living in tents next to highways. And they can´t be send back to where they came from

I've got to repeat, the best thing about the tours in rio was that your money went towards building schools, medical clinics, day cares. If there was guarantee, and proof, that the money for these tours to Villa 21 were going to build the same types of things I would be all for it (Apart from the price, it is too much, they should cut it to 25-40 dollars tops, especially as we know the current fondness for raising prices, at us$60 they are cutting out a huge portion of the potential market).
Yesterday I was at Retiro. A little girl asked me to buy her Mantecol, so I gave her 1.50. I put the coins in her hand and a 50 centavo piece was approximately the size of her palm -- meaning she must have only been about 4 years old.
If I knew that money from these tours would go towards building a community or daycare centre for these kids, then I would be fully behind the company. However, like a lot of locals, I have a fair share of distrust that the money will go where it really needs to.
By the way, did anyone see the documental a few weeks ago on TN about the guy who has a soup kitchen out to the east of the city (I want to say it's 19 de Agosto, but I could be completely mistaken) -- they had a phone number or website at the end for donations, if anyone remembers that it would be gret to publish here. The man serves about 200 meals a day to the kids in the area to make sure they get at least one proper hot meal everyday.

I understand, however it the whole world went by "Ifs" not much would ever get done.
All the best
Randy

Back