Warning about Colegio New Model school

eme

Registered
I would like to share a horrible experience about the Colegio New Model school in Buenos Aires so that others do not have to go through what my daughter and I did. They did not admit my daughter to their school after 1 month of making us gather papers, paying for an Apostille, and telling us all along that she would be admitted to the school. They told us last week that she was officially accepted and then turned around 3 days later saying she was not. They can not be trusted and are obviously not a serious school. Their director has a real problem, smiling and lying to people. Please pass my message to all Americans looking for schools here. My daughter has never been so disappointed and shame on the people at Colegio New Model, who are supposed to be professional educators. How can you tell a 7 year old that she is accepted to your school and then turn around and tell her she isn't? What a slap in the face...anti-Americanism has crossed my mind and just plain cruel. BEWARE. They are wolves in sheep's clothing!

eme said:
What a slap in the face...anti-Americanism has crossed my mind and just plain cruel. BEWARE. They are wolves in sheep's clothing!

I don't think (well I hope not) that is the case. I am sorry you had to go through such ordeal...unfortunately, a lot of private schools are only in it for the money...

I also had a bad experience with a private school in Uruguay...just be thankful that you got to see their true nature before your daughter got accepted. I switched my children just 2 months into the school year and it took them a while to get their confidence back.

Last year, I reluctantly enrolled my children in a low-profile Catholic school (we are on a tight budget and those are the cheapest: ours works with a % of state funding) but it has turned out to be a surprise for the better.

Hope you can find a nice school.

Saludos,

M

Unfortunately many schools here are NOT non-profit as are virtually ALL private schools in the United States where they routinely LOSE money and depend heavily on alumni and other private contributions. In Argentina many private schools are for-profit. I don't know why your daughter was rejected unless there was some sort of prejudice. That can be behind decisions at some of the 'elite' schools here. I am not surprised that you found an acceptable and inexpensive Catholic school. Don't know why you say that you chose this school 'reluctantly' though.

Re: My "reluctantly" comment. Two reasons

-My daughter was in a bilingual school which I loved and cannot afford now...

-I had this prejudice about Catholic schools being too strict or narrow-minded...but luckily, things have changed and I love the new focus on teaching Christian values and leaving the "dark side" of religion out. Also, this school feels a little...hmmm...how can I say it? Basic? Traditional? (i.e: no coed sports, but the same old "ballet for girls, soccer for boys" kind of approach...). I absolutely looooove the people there though...teachers are the most loving I've ever seen.

If the school is run by Opus Dei it will probably be STRICTER than others but not really strict by US standards. From what I've seen Catholic schools here tend to be more interested in forming the person and not just in teaching things. If there is any force for social change in Argentina it is the Catholic Church - just read the papers to see how opposed the bishops are to the government. Their concerns about poverty and injustice are a constant thorn in the side of the Kirchners. In terms of social outreach, the Catholic Church has to be the biggest single organization in the country. As for "ballet for girls; football for boys"....That is a widespread attitude in this country which remains pretty conservative in many respects.

Here in private shcools, boys play rugby, and girls field hockey.
The Catholic Church is the only actual force vaguely ballancing Peronism, but remember that such a Church is also quiet diverse:
There is a side leaning towards the Opus Dei or much worse, and another side leaning towards the "Theology of Liberation" (Communism), but I can safely say that most Catholics, and Catholic schools are in the center with decent Christian values.

Hello
I can`t believe what happened to you. So I understand they never gave you a proper reason of why your daughter was not accepted not even an apology, this is not serious at all I hope it is not what you are thinking (anti americanism) our country has always received people from all over the world) we all descend either from Spanish or from Italians! I have triplets and I send them to a catholic school and as you say they tend to be narrow minded but to my surprise they are not so strict at the moment and for English I send them to an Institute La Cultural Inglesa, I can`t send them to a bilingual school.

Back