Way to get dollars if you need them

I checked with a friend and apparently about a year ago, the central bank imposed a no dollar deal for atm's. They were already programmed so it show the option but will not allow it. This is the case for any account I am told.

Guys

You can only extract dollars from an ATM if you have a U$D account at that bank (remember, Citibank US is NOT the same as Citbank AR), and for that reason it is an option at the ATM.

We have a debit account at Banco Rio I use for on-line bill paying, from which I can theoretically extract dollars (they said we could, but I haven't tried) if I had deposited dollars. I don't think you can extract dollars if you had not deposited dollars, but again I haven't tried.

Saludos,

David

Amex is the way to go. Here are some tips -

- Platinum limit is in fact US$ 10k/month for check cashing according to the teller last time I was there. There is no fee for this service.

- You can request 'emergency funds' if you don't have your checkbook. I believe up to US $1k/month. Again, no fee.

- You must be in the country within the 90 day tourist visa timeframe. I once tried to cash a check after I had not left the country in over three months and it was a no-go. They are strict about this and check each time for your last entrance stamp. They photocopy it and probably have it on file in case they are audited.

- Dollars or Pesos, or a combo of both. The exchange rate is the best.

If you live in Argentina for any extended period of time, the Platinum card is well worth the annual fee for this service. It also gets you into the Admiral's Club at Ezeiza. Open bar - yummy...

Stafford,

The limit for the card is indeed 10k but in Argentina it is 5k because of the central bank. I have done this several times and argued but they showed me the law. IN other words, in any other country you could get 10k a month but Argentina limits you to 5k per passport/acct holder. That sucks but at least you can get 5k.

THANKS for the clarification, EMR. I thought it was 10K, because the woman showed me that for my profile on her screen when I asked. But assuming now she was speaking about AMEX policy in general, rather than the limitations of Argentina. I've never taken out so much cash at once, but it is good to know the situation if I ever needed to. All the other countries have no problems, but Argentina has to be the odd one out. Is this not always the case? Well, I guess in a strange way its part of the reason why I love Argentina so much. She wouldn't be nearly as appealing if she didn't have her quarks, right?

I have a Us citibank account and was never able to get dollars. Tried many banks, many atms in BA.-.. Got tired--So on my trip to Bolivia, I got dollars from the ATM, not sure about amount limits, but if you are going to spend a lot of time in Argentina and will be travelling around, it is good to know-
Cheers everyone--

Back