We Ru(I)N Buenos Aires 2014

None of the runners I know went thru the ordeal you've described, but if you feel like talking to someone on this you can contact Sebastian Tagle at Club de Corredores, the company that organized the event on behalf of Nike http://clubdecorredores.com/club/ . For your reference, what these guys asked you for is pretty much the same stuff you have to comply with if you want to participate in the North Face Endurance Challenge down there in patagonia. No med cert ? forget it, no race.

Some races they ask for it and others not .But always you could sign a disclaimer. On the one occasion that I got a medical cert it cost me $300 pesos and the organisers did not ask for it.
No I am not looking to sue and am not even demanding a refund. I have more than 20 medals for races I have run in Buenos Aires Salta and Rio.
This is the only time I have ever been refused the t shirt and chip that I have paid for. And I am just simply pissed off about it

No I am not looking to sue and am not even demanding a refund. I have more than 20 medals for races I have run in Buenos Aires Salta and Rio.

Quit the accomplishment. Out of curiosity, what do you think of the quality of the shirts and medals they give out here?

It looks like you didn't read anything on the website.

Both forms are there, the "disclaimer" and the "medical certificate." The website makes it very clear that you can't participate without it. From the "disclaimer":

"NO OLVIDE ADJUNTAR FOTOCOPIA DE LAS PRIMERAS DOS HOJAS DE SU DNI"

"Al momento de retirar su kit, se compromete a presentar el Certificado de Aptitud Médica habilitante emitido y firmado por un
profesional responsable y autorizado, que lo habilite a participar de La Prueba. Caso contrario, el Participante acepta que no podrá
participar en La Prueba."

And why did you wait until the day of the event to get the "kit", when you could have done it prior to the event? This is Argentina, you know...

Bradly i went on Saturday to get the kit. I was rejected for no medical cert (first time in more than 20 races) my friend who had the medical cert on the correct piece of paper was rejected because he did not have a photo copy of the first 2 pages of his Dni. At he end of the day we were only trying to run a race we had paid to run. We are not criminals who did something illegal ,but that's how we were treated when we turned up to run on Sunday.

If nobody else had problems then why were there only 7114 runners when 10000 had paid to do so.
almost 30% were turned away.

Dirt boy the shirts are usually quite good and the medals are great if you have kids.

Bradly i went on Saturday to get the kit. I was rejected for no medical cert (first time in more than 20 races) my friend who had the medical cert on the correct piece of paper was rejected because he did not have a photo copy of the first 2 pages of his Dni. At he end of the day we were only trying to run a race we had paid to run. We are not criminals who did something illegal ,but that's how we were treated when we turned up to run on Sunday.

If nobody else had problems then why were there only 7114 runners when 10000 had paid to do so.
almost 30% were turned away.

OK, but the forms that you had to sign clearly state what is needed... Where is your source for this "only 7,000 out of 10,000" could participate?

I am shocked that everything they asked of you was actually on paper.

How long have you been in Argentina?

The results show that 7114 people finished the race. This is on numerous websites.
The race had a capacity of 10,000 and was sold out. Does that mean that 29% of people just slept in.
I have been here ten years and run many races and signed many disclaimers which is what normally happens in Buenos Aires.
Never has it been a valid reason to deny a shirt and a chip to a runner. (maybe in the mountains yes but in BSAS NO)
I ran the baires half marthon in april and it was not an issue.
Most of he people denied shirts would have been regular runners like me who would have been stunned at the sudden strict enforcement of rules that are never enforced.
One woman had a medical cert but her doctor had not stamped the official form. She was told that as her medical cert did no mention the distance of 21km that they could not accept it.
Is that really ok ? was that really her own fault?

It seems the issue is not so much that the requirements were listed - albeit in an obscure place on the website - but that you've been able to just sign a waiver in the past and run the race without the docs. This time they decided (arbitrarily) to enforce the rules.

That can be really frustrating.

Back