Western Union Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caribbean Cool

Registered
This morning, using the WU website, I discovered this....

Bringing cash money into a WU office in the states and transferring to Argentina is no longer available. Only debit card or bank account.

The fee for a transfer from the US to Argentina is now $50 from bank account or debit card.

The conversion this morning is 74.02

Anyone who can confirm this by actual use would be constructive. Things do change often!!!

More...5 minutes later after my post the website AGAIN offered the option of paying in cash at the WU store in the states.....

The transfer fee using cash in store showed $9....not $50

The debit card fee still showed $50

Both methods used a 74.02 conversion rate

WU is the AOL of financial services: still making most of their money of grandpas who still don’t know there’s an alternative to the dial-up plan.

I kid you not.....10 minutes later it changed again. They must be working on the website or they are out to get me!

For EU-Argentina transfers nothing changed. Payment options and fees are still the same as usual and the rate continues to be roughly 15% higher than the blue rate and 21-22% higher than the official rate.

Captura de pantalla 2019-11-18 a las 12.31.28.png

This morning, using the WU website, I discovered this....

Bringing cash money into a WU office in the states and transferring to Argentina is no longer available. Only debit card or bank account.

The fee for a transfer from the US to Argentina is now $50 from bank account or debit card.

The conversion this morning is 74.02

Anyone who can confirm this by actual use would be constructive. Things do change often!!!

As of 1:30 PM today the rate is $73.39 and:

It IS possible to bring "cash money" (aka currency) into a WU agency in the USA and send it to an individual in Argentina only if the funds are going to be picked up at a WU agency in Argentina.

The fee is $9.00 USD.

It is NOT possible to bring currency into a WU agency in the USA and send it to a bank account in Argentina.

To do that one must use a debit or credit card to access the funds or transfer the funds directly from a bank account in the USA to the bank account in Argentina.

The fee to use a credit card is $36.00 USD and it takes three business days for the funds to arrive (according to the website).

The fee to use a debit card is $10.00 USD and the funds arrive in minutes" (according to the website).

The fee to transfer funds from a bank account in the USA to a bank account in Argentina is $0.00 USD and it takes six business days for the funds to arrive (according to the website).

Last edited:
Can you do the WU Europe transfer as a guest bdk1?

What exactly do you mean by "guest"? If you mean being a non-resident in Argentina, yes, anyone with a government-issued ID (e.g. a foreign passport) can pick up money at a Western Union agency in Argentina.

If you mean without registering on Western Union, no, you do need to create an account in order to send money. If you are sending money from the EU, you will need to register at the Western Union site for the country that you can provide an address for. That said, they will not ask you for any proof of address whatsoever (although you will need to upload a copy of your ID).

Sometimes the exchange rate is a bit better in a specific country, so if you can provide an address in more than one EU country, I would check the rate before choosing where to register just in case. I signed up on the Western Union Spain website and gave a Spain address, but provided a French ID with a Dutch address on it as proof of identity, and then paid for all transfers with a UK-issued debit card. So far it wasn't a problem.

What exactly do you mean by "guest"? If you mean being a non-resident in Argentina, yes, anyone with a government-issued ID (e.g. a foreign passport) can pick up money at a Western Union agency in Argentina.

If you mean without registering on Western Union, no, you do need to create an account in order to send money. If you are sending money from the EU, you will need to register at the Western Union site for the country that you can provide an address for. That said, they will not ask you for any proof of address whatsoever (although you will need to upload a copy of your ID).

Sometimes the exchange rate is a bit better in a specific country, so if you can provide an address in more than one EU country, I would check the rate before choosing where to register just in case. I signed up on the Western Union Spain website and gave a Spain address, but provided a French ID with a Dutch address on it as proof of identity, and then paid for all transfers with a UK-issued debit card. So far it wasn't a problem.

Thanks, that is the information I require. I don't have an EU ID unfortunately but I'll see what I can do. Taking a few minutes to shop around for the best rate is definitely worth it IMO, especially if you have access to multiple Western Unions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back